1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KOWS blade grinder attachment, platen mod

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by razor-edge-knives, Nov 1, 2018.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Just got mine in and noticed there is about 1/16" gap between the belt and the paten. While I can't get tempered glass this thin, I can make some hardened steel plates that can be attached. Anyone else done this or something similar? A convex grind is great, but a flat ground edge is needed sometimes and this would let me do it...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Haffner

Haffner

Feb 13, 2007
    Do you have an image or two?

3. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    sure, just updated the op

4. cbwx34

cbwx34 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Personally haven't seen the need... but I use the platen mainly to reshape a blade, repair a tip, etc. It doesn't take much pressure for the belt to contact the platen (unlike what you may be used to on a regular belt system). Having the two top pulleys close together, and sharpening close to the lower one, creates a pretty flat grind IMO.

Be careful adding anything that might add "drag" if you plan on using a leather belt..., and keep the speed up a bit if you do. (Rumor is it's one reason WorkSharp discontinued the leather belt... at slow speed, it could burn out the motor).

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Wow that's interesting man thank-you for the input, I always find your posts very valuable! Man I hope the leather belt works ok... I purchased one as that's how I generally remove the bur when machine sharpening. Although the other day I tested removing it with the edge pro ceramic honing rod and it worked perfect (basically like the sharpmaker would)

6. Sharperthansticks

Sharperthansticks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I actually called Darex, the maker of the Work Sharp, yesterday, because I was having some trouble getting good results on an M4 Manix 2 while using the WSKO + blade grinder. In the course of our long conversation (their tech. support is superb), Kevin, who I usually speak to in their customer service department, advised me to keep the motor running on a (relatively?) high speed (or at least not on a low speed) while using the blade grinding attachment because the extra strain on the motor requires that the fan be working at full to keep the motor from burning up.

7. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the input... Sounds like they need to redesign this thing .. The variable (slow) speed was one reason I bought it.

8. cbwx34

cbwx34 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I've run the linen belt and fine belts on low speed for the final deburring passes and never had a problem... Continuosly on slow speed may overheat it, but I think you'll find that other than some deburring, you won't find much use for it running that slow... my .02 anyway. (Medium speed I've run quite a bit... never had a problem).

9. Creedmoor

Creedmoor

May 7, 2014
    Cyrano and razor-edge-knives like this.