Kraton handle problem

Shall I be worried about this?
11.jpg

12.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

08.jpg

What's the Problem lol your knife is not less good for a little thing on the kraton (rubber)handle....I hope SOG will not care about this!

I bet that you are trying to dig it with the fingers when you hold the knife... :)

I don't know but most of the rubber handled knives I've seen have some kind of a plug in that spot.

Looks normal to me for an injection molded handle. Give it a few more weeks of use and if it starts getting worse then do something. When I had one I noticed it had that too. Didn't worry me after I found it and notice it wasn't going anywhere. Wish I could afford a new one. Love those knives!

Heber

I did notice that some knife collectors have some kind of an insane eye for detail on knives.like a sherlock holmes looking over the enitre blade looking for 'a spot'that may be the weak chain ,where the whole knife might start to crumble down.
the normal thing becomes an obsessive abnormality.(sorry for my english,it's not my main language)

I wouldn't worry about that spot.
it is molded.it is normal to have a spot like that on rubber.

I bet ,when you just use the knife-handle like one does when using a knife, the spot still looks the same after 15 years.

If I'm not mistaken that is the sprue where the handle was injected molded and is trimmed during process. I've worked in a plastic injection plant and that is where it is injected in the mold. Why it would be getting bigger is beyond me.

I would not worry about it. It seems that all of the answers above explain what that is.

I have had the knife for three years (approx). The spot was very minor when I bought the knife yet and though it saw very little use (so little in fact that it still has (sharp) factory edge...) the spot developed to it's current state.

I was looking for experience from people that encountered similar thing on their handles so as to know how bad it can (would) get or how to prevent it.

What I received was bunch of "LOL" and ONE (thanks wildmanh) response from someone who experienced the same...

Robert Ptacel - thanks for your insight. However, my experience so far is as described earlier.

Eventually, it will die. I've seen this before on Dr. House. Your handle has an auto-immune problem. The mold injection pore was contaminated by an unknown virus during shipment. There is nothing you can do to save it. Treat it with antibiotics for secondary infections. Keep it as comfortable as you can. Don't let it die alone. Play a lot of Allman Brothers so it can hear it. What is its name?

some people are not fond of kraton, because of the possibility of deterioration when it comes in contact with chemicals.
I even read that some kraton deteriorated when exposed to the sun.

but I dont know about all that.how vulnerable it is.
if you worry about that,maybe it is better to buy a seal pup elite.
with the hard ,tough zytel handle.

Back