KreinKnives TK9 Review and lots o Pics :)

I got my hands on a Tom Krein TK9 and went on my first small woodsy hike in 6 months.
Good GOD! How I've missed hiking, and walking too.
So here's the Krein TK9, ~11 ounces without sheath. A2 steel at Rc 58.
I even spoke with Tom Krein and I still don't understand the differences tween A2 and D2 ....sigh
It felt light in the hand for the size. Finely balanced. Nice flat high grind. Gotta love it when a maker makes a great slicer

I just had to throw my new Glycine in the pic
TK9013.jpg

It's a lot bigger than I usually carry but the slim profile and high riding sheath made it a pleasure to carry. I can hear the wisecracks about "slim profile"; GUYS!!
I meant the knife not me :) SHEESH!!!
METK9006.jpg

Smooth draw. I prefer blade forward strong side carry. Smooth, Quick deploy!
METK9007.jpg

I chopped into some wood and it was impressive with the edge retention. No rolled edge, still sharp after whacking away.... hahahaha
TK9003.jpg

After choppin, I lopped thru this in one stroke
TK9004.jpg

Then whittled a bit to a point
TK9005.jpg

Here's the old boy, tickled pink to be out in the woods.
METK9003.jpg

Tom

Tom, I always look forward to your reviews, they always have great pics. Seeing you traipsing through the woods of NJ makes me itch to get out one last time up here in NY, while the weather is still brisk as opposed to brutally cold.

BurkStar

Banned
Tom, great review and you definitely look like you're enjoying getting out! Wish I could get an opportunity to get out and use my TK-7 more, as I'm really curious how it'll do under some harder use than I can put it through around the house. As a matter of fact I've got about 4 knives that I'd like to do a comparison with. But its already gotten bitterly cold down here, it got all the way down to 40 last night! And its only going up to the mid 60's during the day :eek: !

BurkStar said:
........ But its already gotten bitterly cold down here, it got all the way down to 40 last night! And its only going up to the mid 60's during the day !:eek: !
Steve, Aaaahhh! The relative nature of cold :) When it gets DOWN to 40 degrees does the humidity drop to -10?
No wonder you're so well preserved :D
hahahahaha
Glad to see that you're doing well!

Torz, you have a limited window of opportunity before it REALLY does get BITTER cold.
ZERO to -10f
:eek:
No fun then....

Tom

Great review and great pics Tom (except the last one is a little scary ;) :D :D :cool: ). I'm glad to see you out and about too. What's the blade length on that? It has a really nice small bowie look.

I got out this morning, a little snow on the ground 30 mph winds, 28*, it's nice to be out though :), especially when playing around with knives.

~Have a good Thanksgiving, I'm going to get full ;).

Matt

Longrifle....Matt Roberts...
I am soooo lookin to try out the Roberts Utility in the backyard!
Heck, by then I may be able to get out into real woods!
Blade length ~ 6 inches.

Steve.....A wet cold, only in AridZona! :)
Tom

Tom

Crap. I just found this thread. :mad:

I thought I was DONE buying Tom Krein knives after I get my TK-1. Sheesh... I'll HAVE FOUR!

But that CLIP POINT looks unbelievable! What else does he have that's not on his website? :eek: If he starts making folders I'm in big trouble... :(

What's the blade length on that TK-9 from the end of the Micarta to tip? Thickness?

fulloflead,
My plan is to continually come out with cool stuff that you can't resist :D I have a couple of folders in the planning stage right now, but don't know when I will get the time to make some prototypes. :(

The blade on the TK-9 is 6 1/4" from the front of the micarta to the blade tip and it is approx 3/16" in thickness.

Tom

Tom Krein said:
fulloflead,
My plan is to continually come out with cool stuff that you can't resist :D

Thanks for the warning. :)

Tom Krein said:
I have a couple of folders in the planning stage right now, but don't know when I will get the time to make some prototypes. :(

:eek: That's good. I need time to pay off my credit card first. ;) Put me on the list now, will ya?

Tom Krein said:
The blade on the TK-9 is 6 1/4" from the front of the micarta to the blade tip and it is approx 3/16" in thickness.

I might be able to resist the TK-9 because my TK-4, TK-7 and Walkabout fill my needs very well. Folders on the other hand...

Danbo

Platinum Member
I've got one of these knives myself. I fell in love with it, when it was a work in progress on his bench, when I visited Tom at his shop last year. Mine is D2, and has thicker green canvas micarta. Just so I wouldn't be tempted to sell or trade it, I had Tom etch "Danbo" on the spine. :)

Danbo said:
I've got one of these knives myself. I fell in love with it, when it was a work in progress on his bench, when I visited Tom at his shop last year. Mine is D2, and has thicker green canvas micarta. Just so I wouldn't be tempted to sell or trade it, I had Tom etch "Danbo" on the spine. :)
The Danbo sig is a cool addition to the blade :)

Fulloflead...You know you can't resist....Christmas is coming and it'd make a swell gift for you.....from you
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Folders
Folders
Folders

SIgh!!!
Tom

Tom makes some very cool stuff, and is a good dude to boot! :cool: Keep your eye on Krein! :)

Take Care
Trace.