Kris Cutlery vs. HI Everest Katana

Anyone know of a head to head comparison between the Kris Katana and the Himalayan Imports Everest Kantana. Almost identical in price (considering that HI includes shipping) and good business reputation (especially HI). The Kris seems somewhat more traditional, while the HI is heavier (considering the blade thickness) , but, from the looks of it, practically indestructible (considering what we know about the reputation of the HI Khukris). Plus, it's hard to beat Uncle Bill's no bullshit warranty.

If there is no actual comparison, perhaps someone who has had experience with both swords???

Actully KC alo has good business reputation. I bought one naginata from KC, talked to Cecil (the owner), and the deal was smooth. Product was also good.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about the 2 companies. But, I had a khukri by HI and the edge feels a little softer. I've done tameshigiri using Practical Katana (by Hanwei) and khukri (medium is sugar cane), and I feel that cutting with my PK is easier and more comfortable. PK is equal to KC.

from the looks of it, practically indestructible
A little misundestanding here. It is destructible. I you cut a hard medium with a wrong technique, it will bent. Regardless who makes the katana, it will bend. A katana is designed to bend and stay bent if you cut wrongly.

Thick blade does not necessarily mean good. As a matter of fact, a good cutting should not be very hick, but should be wide.

Anyway, it all depends on what your intentions are with the sword. If it is for decoration/kata, any pick of your choices would be a sound decision. For cutting, I would lean towards KC.

BTW, if you want something almost impossible to destroy, check Howard Clark L6 katana at www.bugei.com.

Originally posted by beluga
A katana is designed to bend and stay bent if you cut wrongly.

They were meant to bend as opposed to break, a bent sword can be straightened, a broken or shattered sword cant be salvaged so easily.
Many old Japanese blades were bent and then re-straightened.

Joe Renner

All of Bugei's swords (excluding the custom line) are made by Paul Chen.

L6 is made by Howard Clark, and you can only get it from Bugei. It IS expensive and takes time to complete, but it's worth every second and every penny.

I like Bugei (yes, it prices its merchandise above market's) because they personally inspect the sword prior shipping. Paul Chen (Hanwei) sucks at quality control. There are many issues people receiving 'defective' swords buying from different places other than Bugei.

Also its service is amazing and it has the best packaging method.

:)

Originally posted by beluga

L6 is made by Howard Clark, and you can only get it from Bugei. It IS expensive and takes time to complete, but it's worth every second and every penny.

I like Bugei (yes, it prices its merchandise above market's) because they personally inspect the sword prior shipping. Paul Chen (Hanwei) sucks at quality control. There are many issues people receiving 'defective' swords buying from different places other than Bugei.

Also its service is amazing and it has the best packaging method.

:)

Michael S. Crampton, Shadow of Leaves owner inspects every sword he sells to make sure they are free of defects just as Bugei does and he backs it up.

So it really make no sense to pay "more" for the same Katana if you don't have to. If everything is the same, both swords being perfect (Inspected before shipment) why pay an extra $200+?

Yes I knew that, that's why I mentioned Paul Chen and gave the link to The Shadow Of Leaves.:)

I will only buy my Katanas from Michael, his customer service is awesome.:D

It should be noted that the other differences between production Hanwei swords and the Bugei Hanwei swords are Bugei's "custom" options and "tune ups" by knowledgable katanaphiles. Mike does inspect the production pieces he sells but they are production pieces, Bugei's blades are not of the same batches.

I do see another thread here related to Hanwei but this needed mentioning here.

Cheers

GC

Back