Kris: Opinions?

I'm going to make a purchase real soon and I'm asking about all the knives I'm thinking of picking up..this looks cool (gigantic serrations, maybe? :D) and has micarta handles..I love micarta. Does anybody that has one like it, what are your opinions..I'd love the help. Thanks.

I think it will a real great safe queen and not a great user but it's all a matter of personal preference. I'd say go out on a limb and get it. It might be worth a lot of money in a few years.

I have one and EDC it quite often because I like the design.
Fit and finish on mine were good and stayed that way.
Unlike other Spyderco knives it took some time to get used to this one as due to its design and a rather small hole deployment is a bit more difficult, especially at first when it is still stiff.
In general use I haven't noticed any advantages of the shape of the blade nor any disadvantages but my real knife needs are limited to the obvious.
Sharpening on the corners of the stones of the Sharpmaker only has kept it sharp enough, at least for me.
Owning and/or carrying a Kris is IMO mainly a matter of taste. Either you like it enough to spend some extra time and effort or you don't. I bought mine after I had a chance to handle it and I would definitely recommend handling this one before buying it.

I like kris blades and when I saw the Spyderco Kris I had to get it. Not because I thought it was a beautiful knife but because I'd not seen a folder with a kris blade.

It is well made. It is a bit stiff opening but it likely would be easier to open with more use. However, it looks like some odd little creature with a badly bent nose. It looks like it ran into a brick wall. Mine is a safe queen.

Rich

I had 2 for awhile. One is a safe queen, the other I carried and used on a daily basis for 7-8 months, then sold to my brother. I liked the Kris, I really liked ziping through cardboard with it, the wavy cut. :)

Blades

I've had one since they first came out and have carried it off and on since. Great knife in both design and build quality. Fit and finish are virtually perfect. The knife is also very ergonomic. It's been quite useful in normal EDC duties. I've found it easy to sharpen on a Sharpmaker but that's all I've used so far. I haven't tried a flat stone. The only way you can tell it's been used/carried so much is by the bolsters. They are pretty scratched up by now but that's to be expected. Otherwise, the knife looks new. It's held up extremely well.

I plan on buying another to put away. I like it enough, that if I lost it or broke it, I'd want another. Quickly. :D

I have one and it sits in the drawer. It was stiff but I got it to flick open with considerable effort. The Kris is really a double edge design and the spyderco kris is single edge. The blade is at an awkward angle. You can do better. Get a police model instead.

My Dear Friend,

I'm going to make a purchase real soon and I'm asking about all the knives I'm thinking of picking up..this looks cool (gigantic serrations, maybe? :D) and has micarta handles..I love micarta. Does anybody that has one like it, what are your opinions..I'd love the help. Thanks.

The Spyderco Ed Schempp Kris is one of the finest knives ever produced by Spyderco. As you deduced, the wavy edge pattern is in effect oversized serrations, extending the cutting ability of the blade. The negative blade angle tremendously improves the cutting of this knife - in fact, it has been tested by the designer and has been found to have significantly better slashing potential than a six-inch Bowie-style fixed blade.

Food for thought.

--------
Hannibal

Back