KSF BRKT Axe Review

k_estela

Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum
Bury the Hatchet and Pick up this Axe

There is an old belief if you respect a friend you never ask to borrow his axe. It is only appropriate to ask him to perform the task for you instead. This is due largely to the time-consuming nature of regrinding an axe if major edge damage occurs to the edge. I can’t agree more. I’ve lent out too many top dollar axes to students and “friends” who have returned them in less than perfect condition with nothing more than a half-sincere “sorry.” Axe grinding is not easy as it requires more time and energy to remove more material than a much thinner knife blade. But even before you can lend an axe out, you need to polish and finish it right. This can take far too much time and effort for the 9 to 5’er like most of us are. Luckily, the folks over at Bark River Knife and Tool have reprofiled a number of Wetterlings axes into a great “half axes”. After being sent this axe and using it on a couple trips so far, I have no axe to grind with them. Sorry for the first of a few bad puns to come.

The first thing you notice about the KSF Axe is the beautiful satin finish given to the blade. Unlike the as-forged finish the standard Wetterlings offers, the satin finish is better for cutting as it reduces drag. Also, the satin finish is easy to maintain and spot rust before it becomes a cosmetic concern. BRKT profiles these axes depending on each head. Mine had a nice “speed grind” commonly found on competition axes. This is an excellent grind suitable for a woodsman’s axe and one difficult to create without specialized equipment. I’m an axe snob and this one certainly peaked my interest.

PICT0209.jpg

Each KSF axe also has a refinished hickory handle. This handle has been sanded smooth and finished with linseed oil and clear shellac. While the handle grain is not perfectly straight in line with the edge and the poll, not one length of grain runs off of the side of the handle. I’ve found when wood handle tools break, it is usually where the grain splinters off where it ends. If you can’t visualize what I mean, I’m referring to the chevron looking concentric arcs on wooden handles. As with other Wetterlings, handles can be hit or miss but the good folks at BRKT sanded this one down perfectly.

PICT0208.jpg

PICT0226.jpg

The head is attached with a single hollow tube. Other than pinning a head, a hollow tube is one of the most secure ways to attach a head. I personally believe this is a far superior way to affix a head than a standard wedge. There was absolutely no play in the handle in the eye of the axe even when the head was deeply embedded in hardwood while splitting. Even after rocking the axe out of the wood when firmly embedded, the axe was as solidly assembled as when it arrived in the box on my doorstep. After using the axe for over a month now on trips and as a permanent fixture near the backyard fire ring, there is still no movement in the junction between head and handle.

PICT0227.jpg

There are times when more than a pocket knife or small fixed blade will do. There are times when a chopping tool for camp craft or fire wood preparation makes quick work. The KSF axe was able to limb efficiently and cut cleanly through 2” branches both green and seasoned. It is an ideal axe to keep handy for brush removal in confined spaces.

PICT0220.jpg

At just over 6’ tall with a lengthy wingspan, the little 18” half axe took some time to get accustomed to while splitting and limbing. I usually prefer a longer handle as it provides more safety but I also use smaller hatchets for carving and lightweight packing. The KSF axe is a compromise taking a short time to become proficient with. Once I had my swing down and my ranging, the KSF axe made quick work of splitting wood for my fire. To test pure penetration of the head, I swung the axe into different woods. I buried the hatchet (I know it isn’t a hatchet but I had to throw in another pun) head deep into various woods up to approximately where the thickness of the head becomes greater than a quarter inch.

Unlike traditional shorter hatchets, the KSF Axe is more along the lines of a hand-and-a-half axe. It is longer than a hatchet with a lighter head but shorter than a cruiser or felling axe with heavier head. It provides the user with greater ability and a larger margin of safety when cutting. I found the axe to be very accurate. It is easy to muscle an axe when the weight of the head is usually sufficient for most minor cutting tasks. The KSF axe was perfectly balanced and hit the intended target on my firewood time and time again. Fine carving is also possible with a choked up grip. If your only tool were an axe in a survival situation, this one would perform well prepping food or being pushed into the role of a knife. When held in the hand, the KSF axe just reaches past my elbow. It is easily carried and stored in even the smallest modes of transportation like a canoe/kayak or bicycle pack.

PICT0223.jpg

While Wetterlings axes have become popular in the outdoors community, the fit and finish can be unreliable. Some axes are not ground properly and off the rack edges are butter knife sharp. I’ve never had an issue with a Bark River Knife and Tool edge. Every one has come from the factory with an edge sharp enough to shave with. This axe is no exception. Thankfully, the axe is equipped with a Sharpshooter Sheath Systems edge guard. I don’t advocate carrying an axe on a belt as the weight quickly becomes unbearable. An optional carrier designed for a pack waistbelt or compression strap is available and is constructed of equally impressive quality.

After working the axe and lending it out (I know I shouldn’t have but I did anyway) the edge was returned to me unharmed. Thankfully I won’t have to regrind it and I can spend more time outside than behind a belt sander. I can anticipate people scoffing at the cost of a customized axe but you get what you pay for. The KSF axe is on par with other custom axes and the standard BRKT no questions asked warranty certainly applies here too.

PICT0228.jpg

Let me axe you a few questions (That is the final pun I swear.) Do you appreciate quality workmanship? Do you have better things to do with your time than grind an axe? Do you want an excellent tool for the woods? If so, it is time you look into the KSF Axe. You will be happy you did.

Specs:
Overall Length 18”
Axe Head Length: 5.875”
Height of Bit: 3.5”
Weight: 32.4 oz.

that was a really good review Kevin.

Glad to see you visiting the forums again too:thumbup:

Good review. I've looked into a few axes, but I wasn't sure I wanted to get one. I was mainly looking to get one for my dad, since he prefers axes. :thumbup:

Great review Kevin.
I noticed there are 18" and 20" on KSF. What made you go with the 18 over the 20?

Thanks for the kind words guys. I went with the 18" over the 20" because that is what was sent to me to review. I didn't have a choice in the matter but I'm glad I ended up with that size. I have a few axes in the 20" range and it was fun to play with the shorter one.

Kev

Wow, I want one. I'm loving the flare at the end of the handle.... I snapped a tendon by my pinky years ago and so I cannot fist my right hand. That beauty would fit perfect

Looks like they did a good job with an already good axe. I hope you bring that up to Marty's place in the fall so that I can give it a try ;)

Great review...just ONE question -

Is this a BRKT Axe...? or a Wetterling that's been re-profiled?

I can't find an axe on BRKT's site....?????

Must be my "half-timers" kickin' in...:eek:

thanks

I was taught that the grain of a wooden axe handle should run parallel to the line of the axe. That is, parallel to the line of the swing when using the axe. It makes for a stronger handle that way.

Just like holding a baseball bat so when you swing it, it strikes the ball edge on to the grain, not on the flat of the grain.

That's not how Bark River did it.

I was taught that the grain of a wooden axe handle should run parallel to the line of the axe. That is, parallel to the line of the swing when using the axe. It makes for a stronger handle that way.

Just like holding a baseball bat so when you swing it, it strikes the ball edge on to the grain, not on the flat of the grain.

That's not how Bark River did it.

Fromwhat I understand, Bark River did not remove the handles when they reground the axes. I believe they just sanded the original handle in place and refinished it. Maybe someone knows more about this and can answer that better than I. It looks like a great axe to me!:thumbup:

If you look close at the photo of the handle end. I believe the grain is right the dark horz. lines are machining marks.

Fromwhat I understand, Bark River did not remove the handles when they reground the axes. I believe they just sanded the original handle in place and refinished it. Maybe someone knows more about this and can answer that better than I. It looks like a great axe to me!:thumbup:

That is correct. These are the original handles, just refinished.

If you look close at the photo of the handle end. I believe the grain is right the dark horz. lines are machining marks.

Dusty, I did take a closer look. I can't tell for sure but you may well be right. Maybe k_estela could set me straight.

Brass Tech, you'll get no argument from me. They look like fine axes. I only wish I could afford one.

Last edited:
Back