Kukri Owners - what sheaths are you using?

I have an OKC kukri coming. I like the heft. I like the handle. I like the handguard.

I've also read about the sheath.

Do you just use the sheath? Have you even bought the same replacement sheath from Ontario after wearing out the first one?

Or did you get a different sheath? If so, which one and where did you get it?

Also, I know it's fairly sharp out of the box but did you still sharpen it first?

What angle is the factory bevel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yup, I gots me one of those Kukri's---or KLO (Kukri like object) as the purists would say. I use the stock sheath with my mods. Is it perfect---no. Does it make it MUCH more usable ? IMHO - oh he** yeah. I made my own D-ring out of 3/16" steel rod, then added a swivel & a double snap belt keeper. You can now work, bend, squat, enter & exit vehicles, atv's, sxs's or even on/off horses. Simple, easy mod that = 1000% more usability. Remember, factory sheaths is what helps keep the cost down.

Hope this helps tide you over till you get yours. You will LOVE it. You may or may not have to sharpen yours when you get it. I had to sharpen mine, no big deal. Watch out, Kukri's LOVE to draw first blood of the owner. Mine sure did. After i was done sharpening, i was wiping the oil off the blade as I looked at the clock (had to go to work), only took my eyes off it for a second, did not even feel the cut until the blood became sticky !!! Went through 4 layers of paper towel & cut all 4 fingers !!! I was late for work that day. They are an AWESOME piece of steel. I have not had to sharpen mine since. I just swipe each side once on my butchers steel after use. Still shaves hair.

Yup, I gots me one of those Kukri's---or KLO (Kukri like object) as the purists would say. I use the stock sheath with my mods. Is it perfect---no. Does it make it MUCH more usable ? IMHO - oh he** yeah. I made my own D-ring out of 3/16" steel rod, then added a swivel & a double snap belt keeper. You can now work, bend, squat, enter & exit vehicles, atv's, sxs's or even on/off horses. Simple, easy mod that = 1000% more usability. Remember, factory sheaths is what helps keep the cost down.

Hope this helps tide you over till you get yours. You will LOVE it. You may or may not have to sharpen yours when you get it. I had to sharpen mine, no big deal. Watch out, Kukri's LOVE to draw first blood of the owner. Mine sure did. After i was done sharpening, i was wiping the oil off the blade as I looked at the clock (had to go to work), only took my eyes off it for a second, did not even feel the cut until the blood became sticky !!! Went through 4 layers of paper towel & cut all 4 fingers !!! I was late for work that day. They are an AWESOME piece of steel. I have not had to sharpen mine since. I just swipe each side once on my butchers steel after use. Still shaves hair.

That's certainly a serviceable mod on the sheath. Great job. And you got me to thinking about how I would actually have it on my person. I'm going to reconsider my thoughts of getting a kydex sheath.

And whoa on the 4 finger cut! :eek:

Yeah, that was a bad day. made it to work though, thanks to my son helping me with the first aid. So sharp, there are NO scars at all. Don't think I'm joking about Kukri's wanting to draw blood though, they really do. My step father gave me a kukri that someone gave him in WWII. He is 94 now. He had it all those years & never used it or sharpened it. It was dull as a butter knife. I sharpened it for him & he promptly "felt how sharp it was" & cut 3 of his fingers. It took 60+ years but his got him as well. LOL :D

If you are going to wear your sheath a lot, then you would want a custom leather or kydex sheath for it. I think the stock rivets holding the loop onto sheath would fail. I do not wear mine everyday or even a lot. I literally have 4 rubber maid bins full of knives, most of which need a proper kydex or leather sheath. Everyone has their likes & dislikes. Mandatory for me is a swivel/leg tie for big blades & a drop swivel & leg tie for shorter blades.

Last edited:
You know, now that I think about it, one of the first knives that ever got me here was a kukri. TwinStick, glad you're ok.

As for the sheath, a lot of what you've read might also come from before a redesign that started shipping probably a year and a half ago. The prior version of the sheath was, for lack of a better word, terrible. The current one is actually pretty good, in my admittedly biased opinion.

You know, now that I think about it, one of the first knives that ever got me here was a kukri. TwinStick, glad you're ok.

As for the sheath, a lot of what you've read might also come from before a redesign that started shipping probably a year and a half ago. The prior version of the sheath was, for lack of a better word, terrible. The current one is actually pretty good, in my admittedly biased opinion.

The sheath looks sturdy enough. I like TwinStick's idea. I just used a big split ring. Then I'm going to look for something I can repurpose as a belt snap.

Would you know what angle the bevel is sharpened at?

I've already used it to chop down a dead fruit tree in the back yard. About 6 feet tall. That's what I used to justify the purchase. I have a machete was is too thin and light for the job. I think it's more just for swatting grass. The kukri was good enough out of the box to do the job but it's dull now.

The sheath looks sturdy enough. I like TwinStick's idea. I just used a big split ring. Then I'm going to look for something I can repurpose as a belt snap.

Would you know what angle the bevel is sharpened at?

I've already used it to chop down a dead fruit tree in the back yard. About 6 feet tall. That's what I used to justify the purchase. I have a machete was is too thin and light for the job. I think it's more just for swatting grass. The kukri was good enough out of the box to do the job but it's dull now.

QC says 25 degrees. Glad to hear it did a good job on the fruit tree.

Can you please post a pic of the latest sheath ? Can i buy one separately---with the Kukri ? It has been a few years since the Kukri got me.

Good sharp knives are like a high maintenance spouse---if they don't have ALL of your undivided attention when they want it---you are gonna pay for it !!! :D

Just kidding---no hate mail please....................OK, I'm really not kidding---but still, no hate mail please ! :D

I don't think it looks dramatically different, it's just a better fit and, in my opinion, quicker to use.

uTSCWpT.jpg

Hqj8bvo.jpg

IMHO that looks to be a major improvement over the original sheath.

Thanks to Twinstick's idea, I went and got me a belt key holder too that came with it's own split ring. It makes the kukri hang maybe an inch or two lower than I prefer but it's not like I need to be able to do a quick draw.

I also bought some paracord and I'm going to try my hand at making a strap lanyard to hold / brace my hand against the handle when I'm using it.
IMG_0884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks to Twinstick's idea, I went and got me a belt key holder too that came with it's own split ring. It makes the kukri hang maybe an inch or two lower than I prefer but it's not like I need to be able to do a quick draw.

I also bought some paracord and I'm going to try my hand at making a strap lanyard to hold / brace my hand against the handle when I'm using it.
IMG_0884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You could always get rid of the clip itself, by looking at the picture it appears to be plastic and you should be able to completely remove it from the nylon keeper, then you could thread the split ring through the small loop on the nylon keeper that the base of the clip was going through, that would eliminate that inch or two of extra drop you weren't happy with.

You could always get rid of the clip itself, by looking at the picture it appears to be plastic and you should be able to completely remove it from the nylon keeper, then you could thread the split ring through the small loop on the nylon keeper that the base of the clip was going through, that would eliminate that inch or two of extra drop you weren't happy with.

<mind blown>

okay, that's pretty good thinking and suggestion. Now that you set me off, I could probably even shorten that by getting a flatter D-ring type connector instead of the split ring.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

<mind blown>

okay, that's pretty good thinking and suggestion. Now that you set me off, I could probably even shorten that by getting a flatter D-ring type connector instead of the split ring.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Glad I could help :thumbup:

I don't think it looks dramatically different, it's just a better fit and, in my opinion, quicker to use.

uTSCWpT.jpg

Hqj8bvo.jpg

Thanks for that. By the way, now that i am Officially Retired, & seeing that I am somewhat local (Western NY State), do you give tours ? Just curious, I might want to be an "Authorized Dealer" someday. Not sure yet. I can only sell things that i believe in & I am sold on your Spec-Plus line. I have been, ever since I bought the "QuarterMaster Knife" from Brigade QuarterMasters, back in the early 90's i think.

Thanks,
Mike

"Thanks for that. By the way, now that i am Officially Retired, & seeing that I am somewhat local (Western NY State), do you give tours ? Just curious, I might want to be an "Authorized Dealer" someday. Not sure yet. I can only sell things that i believe in & I am sold on your Spec-Plus line. I have been, ever since I bought the "QuarterMaster Knife" from Brigade QuarterMasters, back in the early 90's i think.

Thanks,
Mike "

Well, ????????????

Back