KUKRIS???

Have recently fallen in love with Kukris!

I think they're the best "one tool option", if you ask me.

What kukris are ya'll using??!!

Indestructible kukris?

Cheap, good kukris??

Recently bought two Kershaw Camp 10's and man, if that's not the definition of a "one tool option". What a design!

Lemme know!

Cheers!

-T

I moved this post to the Cantina as it speaks of Khukri's in general. The HI forum is Yangdu's showroom and we try to keep it for discussion of HI products only.
HI of course makes the finest khukri's you can find anywhere. Sometimes they are cheap because Yangdu is just a very nice person. You won't find a better knife or customer service.

Hi, and welcome. I mainly own HI's blades. I have only ventured with one other top name (with blades made in Nepal). And am curious about another (3rd maker, also from Nepal). But my first love will always be HI. And recommend them highly, always. Their level of quality and service is the best.

Cheap is tempting, and there is a place for that. But not when you are talking about blades crafted by masters. Stick with good names (from Nepal) and you won't be disappointed.

I like Kershaw, a lot, especially their ZT (Zero Tolerance) stuff. But, personally, I avoid their stuff that is not made in the USA or Japan.

xx

I moved this post to the Cantina as it speaks of Khukri's in general. The HI forum is Yangdu's showroom and we try to keep it for discussion of HI products only.
HI of course makes the finest khukri's you can find anywhere. Sometimes they are cheap because Yangdu is just a very nice person. You won't find a better knife or customer service.

Thanks!

Do you have a link where I can see his stuff?

Hi, and welcome. I mainly own HI's blades. I have only ventured with one other top name (with blades made in Nepal). And am curious about another (3rd maker, also from Nepal). But my first love will always be HI. And recommend them highly, always. Their level of quality and service is the best.

Cheap is tempting, and there is a place for that. But not when you are talking about blades crafted by masters. Stick with good names (from Nepal) and you won't be disappointed.

I like Kershaw, a lot, especially their ZT (Zero Tolerance) stuff. But, personally, I avoid their stuff that is not made in the USA or Japan.

xx

Thank you!

Do you have links to the makers you mentioned?

Any specific models?

Thanks!

-T

You can find any post by Yangdu where she list items for sale here on the forum. It will have a link to the HI website which shows most all the different models. It's kind of out of date and there are some new models and styles available.
On the main page there is a wealth of information in various threads, history, a kami list which is also rather out of date but shows their individual marks etc.
I too love Kershaw knives for the most part but when it comes to khukri's, they are left behind.

Thank you!

Do you have links to the makers you mentioned?

Any specific models?

Thanks!

-T

My personal HI favorites: basically the full tang versions/variations. Such as: M-43, Chiruwa Ang Khola, Father's Replica, Suga (bone handle). Of the non full tang, the Biltons (Biltong).

Out of respect for HI, I'd prefer not to mention the others. But they are easily found online being compared to HI. You won't have difficulty finding about them.

Cheers,

xx

T.M.A.:

For a frequent user you can't go wrong with the VUK model (Villager Utility Knife) mentioned above by Kiteman72. It works for everything except the heaviest uses (like chopping down trees), with a good length-to-weight ratio. It's also one of the least expensive HI knives, because it's made as a user, not for display. No polishing or other purely cosmetic frills. Looks good anyway.

If you want an HI model that's strong and beautiful, you can't go wrong with the YCS model. The first YCS pictured below below was made by Kumar Kami, who is still active with HI. The second picture shows a YCS made by the late Vim Kami. The third -- my favorite -- was made by the late Bura Kami. Those heavily engraved blades are quite rare. One can only imagine the skill level and amount of time that goes into them. Yangdu occasionally posts a standard "vanilla" YCS on this forum, or you can email her directly if you are interested. The standard YCS is also beautiful, but without the engraving on the blade and handle.

These three range in overall length from 17" to 18.5", and in weight from 30 oz to 36 oz.

Attachments

• YCS18.5in-Kumar32oz-OsageOrange-01.jpg
    YCS18.5in-Kumar32oz-OsageOrange-01.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 6
  • YCS18.5-Vim36-07.JPG
    YCS18.5-Vim36-07.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 5
  • YCS-17in-Bura30oz-engraved-03.jpg
    YCS-17in-Bura30oz-engraved-03.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
T.M.A.:

For a frequent user you can't go wrong with the VUK model (Villager Utility Knife) mentioned above by Kiteman72. It works for everything except the heaviest uses (like chopping down trees), with a good length-to-weight ratio. It's also one of the least expensive HI knives, because it's made as a user, not for display. No polishing or other purely cosmetic frills. Looks good anyway.

If you want an HI model that's strong and beautiful, you can't go wrong with the YCS model. The first YCS pictured below below was made by Kumar Kami, who is still active with HI. The second picture shows a YCS made by the late Vim Kami. The third -- my favorite -- was made by the late Bura Kami. Those heavily engraved blades are quite rare. One can only imagine the skill level and amount of time that goes into them. Yangdu occasionally posts a standard "vanilla" YCS on this forum, or you can email her directly if you are interested. The standard YCS is also beautiful, but without the engraving on the blade and handle.

These three range in overall length from 17" to 18.5", and in weight from 30 oz to 36 oz.

Wow! How beautiful!

Thank you for the resources!

-T

Wow! How beautiful!

Thank you for the resources!

-T
TMA? For your possible needs, there is a 15in villager today (1/27/21) for $100 which addresses all your needs and will out-last most of your life-long abilities to meander through the world. Villagers lack polish, but work wonderfully.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
TMA? For your possible needs, there is a 15in villager today (1/27/21) for $100 which addresses all your needs and will out-last most of your life-long abilities to meander through the world. Villagers last polish, but work wonderfully.

Best wishes.

Where can I see the blade?

Sir,
Newly offered for-sale items are nearly always pictured in the Himalayan Imports forum, of which the Cantina is a sub-forum.

The villager in question is towards the bottom of this thread:

https://bladeforums.com/threads/snow-and-steels-for-1-27.1772376/

The tarwar is gorgeous, but not, I think, what you're looking for.

Joe

Oh, no -that balde is HUMUNGOUS!! Haha!

Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time, but not currently what I'm looking for, as you said...

-T

Oh, no -that balde is HUMUNGOUS!! Haha!

Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time, but not currently what I'm looking for, as you said...

-T

That villager kukri is beautiful, but I need one with a finger guard.

I have found some others across the internet from some reputable kukri manufactures that I am thinking about purchasing...

Is there a HI dealer in the U.S. or do I have to pay foreign shipping (usually around $30-$40)?

Thank you!

--T

You don't need a finger guard bc kuks aren't made for stabbing. The email/order info is at the bottom of the post

Not to try and second guess you, or attempt to dissuade you from your need for a finger guard, but I've been using khuks for a couple of decades and never felt the need for one.

Himalayan Imports is a U.S. dealer, based in Reno, NV. Any shipping from Nepal is already included in the price. I THINK that the price also includes shipping to your location in the U.S., but you should verify that. It's been a while since I've bought one. No more room, you see...

Not to try and second guess you, or attempt to dissuade you from your need for a finger guard, but I've been using khuks for a couple of decades and never felt the need for one.

Himalayan Imports is a U.S. dealer, based in Reno, NV. Any shipping from Nepal is already included in the price. I THINK that the price also includes shipping to your location in the U.S., but you should verify that. It's been a while since I've bought one. No more room, you see...

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people telling me that and I am starting to reconsider...

I've slipped onto the blades of a few knives that HAVE finger guards, actually, so it's something I'm pretty particular about now, but I am thinking of trying it out...

Thank you!

Back