Kydex Coin Carrier

Ban

This kydex holder can hold 2.75 worth of quarters that are readily accessible by sliding the two halves away from each other once the cord is loosened up. The heft at the end of a lanyard makes for a good emergency last ditch smacker. In addition, the longer lanyard can be passed through the shorter end and wrapped around the fingers for a enhanced slapper. What do you guys think?

7018725741_5d6a8b32ec_c.jpg

7018727121_e4bd9fba90.jpg

6872621178_fac7a723c7.jpg

Last edited:
It's almost as good as a sock filled with coins. Just kidding it has a certain appeal.

Yeah, it certainly has a distinct weight advantage and would pack a bigger whallop.

Where do you come up with this stuff? :)

This is what happens when I see a cool idea and/or concept and try to apply it for my own personal preference ;) It was inspired by a kydex sap thread I was was reading on another forum. A kydex sap is just that and doesn't really have much other uses. 2.75 worth of quarters in the pocket is more useful for my needs. It won't pack the punch of a real sap. But with proper body mechanics and technique it can do some damage.

I'm not convinced... I'm not read up on all these self defense doohickeys, so I'm not sure how effective it could be. That said I'm more comfortable with a standard palm strike, elbow, or back fist. Throw a knee or two in there a good shove, then leave. Neat idea though. To give you a little more of my own perspective; if someone pulls a knife on me I'm still only going to use my bare hands (even if I'm carrying a large blade).

Besides, I don't need more stuff in my already filled pockets.

That's cool! We are all entitled to our opinions and it is wise to choose what's most comfortable. I still think that I can easily fracture a jaw or other bones if I can get a clean shot with the coin carrier. As a matter of fact I think I will try it out on some coconuts just for find out.

I am not sure about choosing to go empty hands vs knife when you have a bigger knife at your disposal though. That would be taking unnecessary risk. I would only choose to go empty hand if I can't access my hardware fast enough. A knife is a great equalizer against both size and skill and I would only face it with extreme caution.

Empty hand skills are very important and often overlooked by many gun and other weapon practitioners. Having said that I would still chose to use a tool to increase the odds if I have time to access them. The street is no place for taking chances.

That's cool! We are all entitled to our opinions and it is wise to choose what's most comfortable. I still think that I can easily fracture a jaw or other bones if I can get a clean shot with the coin carrier. As a matter of fact I think I will try it out on some coconuts just for find out.

I am not sure about choosing to go empty hands vs knife when you have a bigger knife at your disposal though. That would be taking unnecessary risk. I would only choose to go empty hand if I can't access my hardware fast enough. A knife is a great equalizer against both size and skill and I would only face it with extreme caution.

Empty hand skills are very important and often overlooked by many gun and other weapon practitioners. Having said that I would still chose to use a tool to increase the odds if I have time to access them. The street is no place for taking chances.

Well to be honest I haven't had much (ready any) training with knives, so having one in a fight will just be a hindrance. As a Canadian our knife/weapon laws are a little more strict, so carrying a knife and intending to use it for self-defense is never a good idea. (Our laws are all about intent rather than defining a particular tool as a weapon).

Let me know how the coconuts fare, I'm interested to see. I did a little googling last night after I posted a sap would most definitely be an effective weapon when used correctly.

Tactical change purse FTW!

Slick, sneaky, functional design Ban...I like it! Even if I can't ever imagine you resorting to that over any of the fine blades that may be on your person at any given time

Sometimes a little nudge is all that is required to change someone's mind. It is just another option when more lethal force is inappropriate.

So true. Definitely a good point that i hadn't considered with my tendency to default to the most extreme possibilities of any given situation....

Will bring some quarters and hopefully a coconut or two for scientific exploration tomorrow ;-)

Made a new one that holds 3.50 in quarters. The whole rig weights 3.4 oz. It packs noticeably more punch.

7025984205_76d1fdc324_b.jpg

The retention is actually very secure. I used it as flail on cardboard boxes and it punched right through. Everything held together fine. Obviously, it will eventually fall apart if it was repeated smacked against something hard.

I like the concept, have to see this in person next time I'm down there. How did the coconuts fare?

The coconuts fared well compared to my hand :eek: Those older coconuts are friggin tough. I think even a solid aluminum kubaton would take more than a few shots to get through.

Hmmm... You will have to show me where to strike it next time.

Back