Kydex Eyelet Sizing - Have questions

propbuildervash

Gold Member
Hello,

I have a question. For Kydex sheaths is 1/4 the de-facto eyelet size standard? The reason I ask is that I have sheath that appears to have smaller eyelets and none of my hardware fits these eyelets. So far everything I have bought in the US has been 1/4 inch. When I took out my calipers they appear to be 3/16ths.

How common or uncommon are 3/16th eyelets and compatible hardware in comparison to 1/4?

Thanks!

Probably more .188” than the .250” I think there are more 3/16 floating around than .250. Peace

OK, cool I just wanted to know where to set my expectation. I only have sheathes from three different makers are two are 1/4 and the other is 3/16th. This helps me a lot! Thank you!

There are 1/8th inch eyelets available, but using them would present issues if you want to attach anything else to the sheath, like belt clips.

Ok. my concern was these 3/16 eyelets wont take 1/4 inch hardware and everywhere i look Chicago screw Kits are being sold for 1/4 eyelets but i cannot find kits with 3/16 hardware. so that leaves me the options of keep searching for 3/16 hardware, or biting the bullet and drilling out all these 3/16 eyelets and installing 1/4 in eyelets their place.

Unless someone has a suggested vendor for 3/16 hardware similar to these.

2021-04-08-11-34-54.jpg

Ok. my concern was these 3/16 eyelets wont take 1/4 inch hardware and everywhere i look Chicago screw Kits are being sold for 1/4 eyelets but i cannot find kits with 3/16 hardware. so that leaves me the options of keep searching for 3/16 hardware, or biting the bullet and drilling out all these 3/16 eyelets and installing 1/4 in eyelets their place.

Unless someone has a suggested vendor for 3/16 hardware similar to these.

2021-04-08-11-34-54.jpg
What are you trying to do? Attach a tek lock or something? Can you just carefully drill 2 holes for the screws and leave all the rivets alone? Good luck.

I am not a fan of the mounting hardware used to attach the dangler to the sheath, nylock nuts and taper headed slotted screws. I wanted to switch to Chicago screws as they are less likely to catch on bags, clothing and other gear. The eyelets at the top i think need to drilled out and up sized to 1/4 to use my existing hardware unless I can source a 3/16 set of proper height Chicago screws.

I don't think there is space to add eyelets.

JWT-6215.jpg
JWT-6214.jpg

Not for my needs, i need an open post with a slot so the screws can be tightened down or locktited in place but still removable down the road.

I went ahead and drilled out the eyelets using a narrow stepped drill bit. To my suprise they came out pretty easily. the eyelets were a 2 peice design, hence the smaller ID. The hole was already a 1/4 hole. I dont have an arbor press and dies to do the job right. My cousin is a sheathmaker and has the tools to drop in standard 1/4 one peice eyelets, so the sheath is getting packed up and sent out for new eyelets.

Not for my needs, i need an open post with a slot so the screws can be tightened down or locktited in place but still removable down the road.

I went ahead and drilled out the eyelets using a narrow stepped drill bit. To my suprise they came out pretty easily. the eyelets were a 2 peice design, hence the smaller ID. The hole was already a 1/4 hole. I dont have an arbor press and dies to do the job right. My cousin is a sheathmaker and has the tools to drop in standard 1/4 one peice eyelets, so the sheath is getting packed up and sent out for new eyelets.

That's what I would do. I use an Italian Twist Press #3 instead of an arbor press.

Back