Kydex help

When you make a Kydex sheath how do you keep the interior from scratching the blade? I’ve made a couple and one scratched a lot while the other didn’t. The upside is that the I made the scratched one for my own personal carry, so at least I didn’t scratch someone else’s. Also, how do you correctly mold them to the knife? I have always over cut the Kydex so I have extra, but then I end up with way too much excess on the front of the handle so I can’t actually get the blade in or out. I end up having to rivet it together and then sand the sheath down and keep testing it until it gets to the point where I can easily get the knife in or out but shaking it won’t dislodge it. I think the answer to this may just be to practice, so that would be a good start, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to help the process along?

It appears that you are new to Kydex.... you need training... preferably from someone who has made a lot of Kydex sheaths... your profile does not provide your location so anyone looking at the thread has no idea if you are in the neighborhood or 1,000 miles away. Next, videos.... check out Knifekits.com.... they have an extensive selection of thermoplastic products, Kydex being one, AND video tutorials... these are not the youtube videos where you can watch a guy grind for 10 minutes without conversation. Home page, left column, select 'Holster Making - Training' , select the videos you want to watch.

Speaking of Youtube videos there are some good ones out there... after watching the video tutorials you will know enough to sort through those pretty quickly. I was watching one the other night and was reminded of the Homer Simpson kid in school...blah, blah, blah.

Now to your specific question... Kydex, being softer than grit, will hold the grit (think everyday carry in the field) and you blade will get scratched.. its the nature of the beast. Frequent cleaning of the sheath will reduce that but its gonna happen. The video tutorials answer your question about retention. The more sheaths you make, the better you will become, especially if you have a mentor. If one is not available, photos are the next best option. Post them here and ask for help... it will come.

Ok Ill try and be simple.
To reduce scratches, I tape the blade with three or four layers of masking tape trimmed around the profile to give the blade itself some clearance, the wont stop all scratches but it will stop the blade rubbing hard against the kydex.
Retention, I get mine pressed and use a heat gun very gently, to relax the fit at the throat, I like to wear gloves when I do this just to tweak and mold a little.
I try to avoid sanding once a sheath has been riveted because, you will get grit in there, you will not get it out and it will scratch your knife. This is why I make pancake style that use only chicago screws, so at any time in the life of the sheath you can pull it apart for cleaning. Im not a fan of taco style kydex unless you give it lots of clearance like a mora sheath.
But watch some tutorials, and think about it logically.

Thank you both for your advice! I will definitely try both of those out. E elasmonut , I was just thinking that the last sheath I made scratched, but the one before that didn't because it was the pancake style you were talking about. I will definitely try making some more of those. Does it ever annoy you that the pancake style is usually bigger than the taco style because you have to leave room for the rivets/screws?

Yes it does annoy me, I like the smaller profile on taco sheaths, but all the ones Ive made are just grit catchers, I find it easier to attach belt loops and such on a pancake atyle as well

Yes it does annoy me, I like the smaller profile on taco sheaths, but all the ones Ive made are just grit catchers, I find it easier to attach belt loops and such on a pancake atyle as well
Yeah, I have a hard time getting clips for the taco sheaths. Mostly they have to be weird shapes so I have to make my own.

Even makin my own unless its a wrap around, extra layer kind of taco "frog", they just feel a bit flimsy. I see plenty of "teklock" kind of things with one or two screws on taco sheaths, that to me, look great but...I'll just lose it or break it.
I like the pancake, totally screw together, no rivet style sheath, but have stopped using aluminium chicago screws because four points of retention aside a few customers sent back broken belt loops.

Back