1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kydex sheath scratch prevention

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by milkyeye, May 7, 2018.

1. milkyeye

milkyeye Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Hello again folks, as the title suggests, I am looking for your techniques in preventing scratches from forming on the blade from insertion and removal. I have been applying 3 layers of painters tape to the exposed blade prior to pressing the kydex. After sanding the edges, I have been blowing out the sheath with compressed air. Am I getting these scratches from grit from the sanding belt, has to be some kind of foreign material, it's not from any plastic debris right?

2. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I've never worked with kydex but it is a known problem with kydex.
    Some people line theyre kydex with leather, or just make leather sheaths

3. Maineiac1

Maineiac1

May 3, 2017
    while making the sheath you need to keep a single layer of tape on the blade until finished. 3 layers is great for forming. Once the sheath in near completed for the shape and edges ill wash out the sheath with soap and water and let dry. Then I will work the retention with a heat gun and with a layer of tape on the blade. You'll need to figure out where on the knife you can get the retention but also be aware that while the knife unlocks from the sheath that the retention area isn't going to "ride" the blade to the tip on removal/insertion.

Kydex is difficult with knives not getting scratches. scratches will happen but limiting them during the creating is a big plus because that can ruin a blades look. But again, depending how well the sheath came out you may get scuffs pretty quick or eventually. Some knives are very difficult to not get them and others are not so bad. Good Luck.