kydex sheaths vs. handle materials.

Hi all, I was hoping I could gather a few ideas on a subject that has been bothering me for quite some time. I purchased and love the SWAT advance tech butterflies available on the web and always hated the fact there was a stupid metal rivet inside the quick draw sheath to drag your knife across when you insert or remove it. After a few attmpts and scratches, I managed to put a felt sticky over it. However, I alsp really like the idea of the KYDEX I see offered and the quick draw idea that comes with it. I bought a neck sheath for my SWAT but everytime I take a step, the heavy brass knife jerks loose and crashes to the ground. WHAT? you say, but that sheath is made for that knife, ya imagine that? Anyway, no big deal. Brass is forgiving and should buff out. Live and learn right? Let's just use it for the nice new T6 aluminum version I bought. Great, nice and tight just how I like em! Just say goodbye to that nice black finish you used to have on your handles, because most of the paint is probably in your kydex sheath now. What gives? What kinda stupid idea is this anyway? Is this some kind of joke? I Emailed Josh (a supplier of mine) about it to get his input on the subject. After all I bought all the items from him and thought he would want to know. I guess he doesnt want to talk about it. I wasnt trying to get a refund or exchange, just wanted to know if I should worry about my other knives I have since bought kydex for. Anyone have any ideas or experiences they could share since my suppliers can't seem to help, Or perhaps he's just busy. Sincerely Doug

I don't have that problem with Clay's kydex sheaths from his BaliExtreme site. Both the Black aluminum and the Brass hold in tight with the neck sheath. Although I tend to wear the brass one in the IWB since it weighs a ton. There is one thing I've noticed with the kydex; because it is in so tight, the rub marks are stating to wear some of the powder coating a bit thin. Still, a extremely lightweight total package.

About your neck sheath...get out a lighter and heat up that puppy up with the knife in the sheath. then let it cool while pressing the crap out of sheath and knife. That should work to tighten the sheath up a lot. Try that it should work.

Hi Doug :)...I'm personally not a SWAT fan myself.., but have several friends that have used both the Alloy and Brass Models without having trouble with the knife falling from the sheath. Since you mentioned Josh.., I'm assumming you are getting Clay's Xtreme-Sheaths from him on Blade Auction.., or from KnifeZilla.

Mike's idea about heating may very well work for you.., but I'm sure Clay will fix the sheath for you or give you another one if there is some defect.

As far as the handle coating wearing off.., my experience has been that any of the powder coatings wear off in time when using a kydex/concealex.., or any carry system relying on friction for holding the knife in place.

Hope that helps...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I've got one of Clay's Xtreme Sheathworks Deluxe models with the adjustable Tek-Lok clip, and have had little trouble with the retention of my BM 42, but it's not a powder-coated model. I'm not much on powder coating, as my knives are to be carried and used, not collected. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the fit of my knife, since it fits tightly enough that I don't worry about dropping it.
Have you considered leather, by any chance? I don't own anything in leather, but if I get something nice, like a Dobruski, I might have Gary make me a custom sheath.

Just for the record that method also works if the sheath is too tight. But instead of pressing like a bastid remove and resheath the knife repeatedly while allowing it to cool. I had to do this with my Xtreme duluxe sheath as it didn't fit my 43. It fit nice and snug with my 42as but was way to tight on my 43.

Just another question -- Isn't using a lighter a little "risky" ?? What about a blow drier ?? Maybe not as suseptible to overheating ?? I'd be very apprehensive about using a direct flame on either Kydex or Concealex. That may be a reflection on my technique or aptitude. :(

Originally posted by OUCH
Just another question -- Isn't using a lighter a little "risky" ?? What about a blow drier ?? Maybe not as suseptible to overheating ?? I'd be very apprehensive about using a direct flame on either Kydex or Concealex. That may be a reflection on my technique or aptitude. :(

Well I've tried a blow dryer and in my opinion it just doesn't get it hot enough. I've never had any problem with using my zippo on Kydex or concealex. Just make sure you don't keep the flame in one spot for to long...kinda wave the sheath through the flame. Of course it helps that I love to play with fire (I flip a Zippo when too many sheeple are around;) ).

If you got the sheath from Josh, then it's got to be one of mine.

E-mail me with your address and I'll send you another one ASAP (or a different model if you want).

slice@balisongxtreme.com

.......... and just for the record, I NEVER expected anyone to wear that heavy assed brass monster in a neck rig. So when I was adjusting the retention, I did it more with the aluminum version in mind.

Originally posted by Clay
.......... and just for the record, I NEVER expected anyone to wear that heavy assed brass monster in a neck rig. So when I was adjusting the retention, I did it more with the aluminum version in mind.

I was thinking that would be one heavy bastard but if you're willing to wear it that way then more power to you.

Heat guns work well for heating hockey shafts because they dont apply a direct flame. Sure you can try using a direct flame but the one time you mess up you might be very sad, ie. once I used a blowtorch on my hockey stick and the carbon fiber caught fire...oops!

whoa there's a big differnce between the temp of a blow torch and a Zippo. A Zippo is around the same temp as a candle but a blow torch is a couple of thousand degrees hotter. I'm sure a heat gun would work but I don't have one...that's why it's a poor man's tip of the day;)

Come to think of it Doug.., geeeeesh..I gotta ask what size neck you have...lol :) I just hauled out the brass SWAT I have and this thing could be used to anchor a small fishing boat!! I'm an old guy.., so I could only wear it as a "necker" if someone pushed me around in a wheelchair...

I've gotta guess you're an ex-linebacker??? :)

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Originally posted by ExamonLyf
I'm an old guy.., so I could only wear it as a "necker" if someone pushed me around in a wheelchair...

I thought that was why you had those naked bali-slaves ;)

Boy, this is great. What a response. Thank you all. The heat gun worked great, It fits my brass knife now just fine. Your right about the weight, it is heavy for a neck rigging. Oh, and Clay, Thank you for responding so fast with concern. Like I said, I am not looking for a replacement or refund on anything but just knowing you are willing to stand behind your products leaves me feeling alot better. I have purchased several items from Josh and never had a communication problem with him. In fact, he has been quite prompt. Thats why I was surprised not to hear back on this issue. What can I say, at the rate balisong collecting is growing, he's probably just busy. Anyway, what about my new Tachyon? I ordered a extreme kydex for it also and was wondering how I can delay the wear? It is so beautiful, I am wondering if the titanium will hold up better. My BM's don't seem to have much wear at all but it is much smoother too.
Anyone out there put a few pulls on their tachyon rigging yet? Thanks again guys.

Originally posted by braundc
Anyone out there put a few pulls on their tachyon rigging yet? Thanks again guys.
Yes I have. The regular Tachyon handles will have some rubbing marks from extraction, but I do have one that's boron coated that has absolutely no wear marks. Which reminds me, I owe Darrel a posting (oops my bad.)

Originally posted by braundc
I have purchased several items from Josh and never had a communication problem with him. In fact, he has been quite prompt. Thats why I was surprised not to hear back on this issue. What can I say, at the rate balisong collecting is growing, he's probably just busy.
I sent him a mail some days ago too, but I haven't heard back from him yet...

By the way - this is probably a bit off topic, but who cares - is the brass SWAT a sandwich model as well?

Back