Kydex sheaths

Why are custom knives always sold with kydex sheaths? What makes it better than leather or nylon or cordura? It seems to me that a material like kydex would retain moisture in a wet environment. where as leather or fabric materials would soak it up and allow it to evaporate. Kydex also seems like it is not very forgiving to the blade. On other knives I've owned with kydex sheaths when I draw the knife there is usually small shavings of kydex on the blade's edge. That leads me to believe that the sheath is working to dull the edge. What are the advantages to having a kydex sheath and why would I not want to replace a kydex sheath with a fabric or leather sheath. Not bashing kydex at all guys just wondering what made it the blade makers and blade users choice.

------------------
If I'm goin down, I'm takin you all with me!

Ryu :

when I draw the knife there is usually small shavings of kydex on the blade's edge. That leads me to believe that the sheath is working to dull the edge.

If this is significantly dulling your knife you have bigger problems than the sheath.

What are the advantages to having a kydex sheath and why would I not want to replace a kydex sheath with a fabric or leather sheath.

Leather has advantages in terms of extreme hot (Kydex can deform) and cold weather (Kydex can shatter) and makes for a more silent draw. Kydex is much more abrasion and puncture resistant and offers an advantage in very humid climates or underwater work.

Kydex vs Leather was discussed extensively in the general forum and in this one some time back when Andy posted up that Busse was changing their sheaths. You might want to have a look at those threads for more detail.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 02-26-2000).]

Back