Kydex-what's the deal?

That's why you seal and then wax your leather so that it repels liquids. Plus, leather feels better against my skin for IWB. For OWB, Kydex is fine as long as it fits well and doesn't rattle.

To play Devils advocate...

you can only wax and seal the outside. And just like boots it needs to constantly be reapplied. And even then... it’s like putting lotion on dry skin.

To play Devils advocate...

you can only wax and seal the outside. And just like boots it needs to constantly be reapplied. And even then... it’s like putting lotion on dry skin.

If the inside gets dirty I'll wash it out with water, then blow it down with compressed air, then I'll wrap my gun or knife in a couple wraps of thick plastic wrap, stick it back into the holster or sheath, and then let it air dry. After it dries I'll reseal the leather if necessary and put a few new coats of mink oil on it.
I usually put pigskin on the inside of my holsters and sheaths. Leather that is properly sealed is not as delicate as many people seem to think that it is. Maybe the person you are buying leather products from doesn't know what they're doing??

Last edited:
Depends on what you value and how you will use the kit.

Leather looks good, feels good, doesn't screw up your mirror polish unless you live in sand-land where leather will collect that sand and rub your blade. But leather is soft, it absorbs water, and will show wear. Not to mention the material is expensive.

Kydex has its own properties and issues. It's lightweight, doesn't absorb water, doesn't show wear, and the material is cheap. Retention doesn't require a strap. But it looks cheap compared to leather, attachment to belt/gear can be easier or more difficult depending on what style you prefer. Another "benefit" of kydex, which is more prescient for pistols.... is that it doesn't slowly wear out and become dangerous like leather will. A kydex holster is either serviceable or not. A leather holster can wear out, still technically function yet be dangerous to keep using.

I'm a kydex guy, but I dont have any show-pieces that I need sheaths for. I don't dress up and display a knife (I conceal it, along with a pistol).

I love leather, but for how I carry knives and what I want from a sheath, kydex's properties are superior.

Prefer what you want, but I don't own a single leather sheath or holster. Everything is kydex or polymer. It just doesn't work better for me in any way besides looking and feeling awesome.

Last edited:
It would be great if someone would start lining the Kydex with a material that would not scratch the metal. Kevlar might be a good idea. I’m not sure if it scratches or not but it’s a fabric so I’m going to guess that it doesn’t. I would gladly pay the up charge.

It would be great if someone would start lining the Kydex with a material that would not scratch the metal. Kevlar might be a good idea. I’m not sure if it scratches or not but it’s a fabric so I’m going to guess that it doesn’t. I would gladly pay the up charge.

I have not seen any scratches on my CPK UF that I just recently acquired. Maybe it's the 3V steel or that I take it in and out slowly and carefully. It has been in/out of the sheath many times.
I have not made a Kydex sheath or holster yet, but I was thinking of gluing a pigskin lining in mine if/when I make one. I am not sure how well that would turn out though.

I have not seen any scratches on my CPK UF that I just recently acquired. Maybe it's the 3V steel or that I take it in and out slowly and carefully. It has been in/out of the sheath many times.
I have not made a Kydex sheath or holster yet, but I was thinking of gluing a pigskin lining in mine if/when I make one. I am not sure how well that would turn out though.

So, bare steel will take scratches from kydex, even 3v. Polish a blade, carry it for a month every day and use it as your only blade. It will show superficial wear.

My years of carrying things in kydex suggests this is true.

But, I would say that the combination of highly wear resistant steel and type of finish contributes substantially to your experience.

So, bare steel will take scratches from kydex, even 3v. Polish a blade, carry it for a month every day and use it as your only blade. It will show superficial wear.

My years of carrying things in kydex suggests this is true.

But, I would say that the combination of highly wear resistant steel and type of finish contributes substantially to your experience.

I have some Kydex holsters but I rarely use them. I will mostly carry my fixed blade knives in leather sheathes. But my Kydex sheath is much better for my CPK UF knife with a 6" blade since I changed the sheath to a FBI cant.

I love leather. But I do take a good blade into very wet canyons wherein I swim and wade all day, often day after day. > Gotta be a Good Kydex sheath for this. Period end of story.
Most dry applications, I “prefer” leather but have found that a well made Kydex can work quite well, too. See David Brown/BuyBrown. Also, can store tool steel in Kydex without same rust and corrosion worries.

Cheers!

I love leather. But I do take a good blade into very wet canyons wherein I swim and wade all day, often day after day. > Gotta be a Good Kydex sheath for this. Period end of story.
Most dry applications, I “prefer” leather but have found that a well made Kydex can work quite well, too. See David Brown/BuyBrown. Also, can store tool steel in Kydex without same rust and corrosion worries.

Cheers!

I love both as well. There's no point in subjecting a nice leather sheath to bad conditions if it isn't necessary. In a case like that I'll use my Kydex sheath also.

Leather is just beautiful, simple as that.

Good things about kydex:
It's rigid so the sheath will be held in place,
you can mold it to fit around the hilt to hold the knife in place without using any sort of strap,
it works better with a tek-lock, so you can attach it securely in any way you want,
holds up better to the elements (unless, I guess, it's extremely hot)

Back