Laconico/Kizer Gemini Flipper (Ki3471) is on the street!

I can personally attest to the Cucchiara-designed Kizers (the Flashbang and Dorado) being incredibly well-made (way better than any ZT I've handled) and just awesome flippers. I imagine these will be every bit as good.

Wow, that's really something. Almost pressed the buy button, but I'll wait for reviews. What's the clip look like? What sort of pivot does it use? Is it easily taken apart for cleaning, and with what tools? That sort of thing.

I'm just waiting for it to go into general circulation so I can do a little price shopping. But at some point, it will be mine. It will go along nicely with my Slim EDC . . .

S7302622_zps80bc3e4b.jpg

S7302624_zps9dd70794.jpg

:)

Wow, that's really something. Almost pressed the buy button, but I'll wait for reviews. What's the clip look like? What sort of pivot does it use? Is it easily taken apart for cleaning, and with what tools? That sort of thing.

Click the link in the first post to see the clip. The pivot is a standard torx pivot looks like T-8. All of the screws are torx. It will be as easy to take apart as any normal knife, and the only tools required are torx drivers.

Click the link in the first post to see the clip. The pivot is a standard torx pivot looks like T-8. All of the screws are torx. It will be as easy to take apart as any normal knife, and the only tools required are torx drivers.

Thanks, I am a little confused. The picture in the linked post is different than the one that is posted on KC's actual product page (a link to which is in the linked post). For instance, one picture shows screw holes for a lefty clip, but the other doesn't. So which is it? And the product page says it uses bearings, but what system?

Thanks, I am a little confused. The picture in the linked post is different than the one that is posted on KC's actual product page (a link to which is in the linked post). For instance, one picture shows screw holes for a lefty clip, but the other doesn't. So which is it? And the product page says it uses bearings, but what system?

You're right, that's weird. I've asked Knife Center about it in their thread. I'm secretly hoping there aren't left-hand carry screw holes (don't tell the lefties).

As for the bearings, they use caged ceramic bearings.

There's more as well. The Kizer site says the knife weighs 2.58 ounces and Knifecenter says it weighs 3.6 ounces. Which is correct? :confused:

There's more as well. The Kizer site says the knife weighs 2.58 ounces and Knifecenter says it weighs 3.6 ounces. Which is correct? :confused:

KnifeCenter just updated its photo. They were using an old one from Kizer's own site that was probably showing a pre-production prototype of some sort.

As for the weight, considering that Kizer isn't showing the most recent knife on their site, I'd guess KnifeCenter's weight is correct, not Kizer's.

Ray Laconico himself has stated that it's supposed to be right-hand carry only: https://instagram.com/p/7yWXA9CXBl/?taken-by=raylaconicoknives

As for the weight, considering that Kizer isn't showing the most recent knife on their site, I'd guess KnifeCenter's weight is correct, not Kizer's.
It's not a deal-breaker anyway. Under 4 ounces works just fine for me. But boy oh boy would it ever have been sweet at less than 3 ounces. :eek: :D

It's not a deal-breaker anyway. Under 4 ounces works just fine for me. But boy oh boy would it ever have been sweet at less than 3 ounces. :eek: :D

I'm just glad they didn't mar the presentation side handle with ugly left-hand carry screw holes!

I agree. I expect it to be a great knife. Ray deserves it for sure! And Kizer scores major points in my estimation for working out a deal to produce knives for such a talented designer. Congrats to both!

The Gemini should be a great EDC and it's priced right. The Gemini has all the features (ceramic bearings, lock bar insert and torx screws) and great looks.

Hope the ergos and fit & finish are great. Knowing Ray it should be. I was disappointed in the TomCat designed Splinter and after playing with it for a few days I was done with it.

I still have my Splinter and I still like it. What was it about it that turned you off?

I still have my Splinter and I still like it. What was it about it that turned you off?

Sharp edges (other than the cutting edge) and too narrow at the bottom. Love the blade shape though. Pity.

Much prefer my older 3404A1 and 34043.

It's pretty narrow at the bottom all right. But I really like the amount of blade you get for such a compact knife. And the sharp edge on the cutout never really bothered me. I was aware of it. But in actual use my finger really never came into contact with it. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Initial impressions are.... .... .... .... ....

Sorry, I fell asleep.

The scales look really uncomfortable when a firm grip. (Flat squares?!)
Tip down is a big no.
That is the worst pocket clip I have ever seen, they might as well have just gone the entire distance of the handle.
It's boring, as in Sebenza boring. It inspires me to not want it.

There's my opinion, and it's worthless, because it's only mine, and it's only an opinion....

Yes, I understand your likening them to Sebenza boring. Ray's designs like Chris's aren't the kind that will knock your socks off . . . until you get them in hand. Then you realize how well-crafted they are. I suspect that's why Ray has developed such a strong following. Will that kind of build quality show up in the Kizers? We'll see. But so far I've been impressed with the knives I've received from them. So I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

Last edited:
Back