1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laminated sheaths

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Makael, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Makael

Makael Leather Craftsman Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I've picked up some large thin leather over the last couple years. By itself will not work for sheath making. I've been laminating using cement on 100 percent of all surfaces then running a stitch around every edge. A pain in the rear but getting more use of some of this thin leather I want to use up.
    Makes some interesting edges.
    20180429_004205.jpg 20180429_004017.jpg 20180428_161946.jpg 20180429_004358.jpg 20180417_013409.jpg 20180416_194720.jpg

2. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    On my screen pictures show up. Does everyone see my pictures? I post them from my phone.

O.L.C. likes this.
  3. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    I see them using Safari :)

4. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I also see them, good looking sheaths. John

5. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Ok good. I had a member let me know he didnt any pics but he was on his phone. Thank you for letting me know.

6. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    I see them, they look really nice. The multi layered edge really adds something. Has it’s own pattern and colors going on.

7. harronek

harronek Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Nice sheaths :thumbsup:

When I think of laminations I think of something like this .

[​IMG]

Ken

WEB2 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  8. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Top grain-Split (1).jpg In theory, and logically, laminated leather should be much stronger than single ply because you have two layers of the grain instead of one, and the grain layer is the strongest part of the leather by far. Also the benefit of automatic self lining. It's a win/win. I practice this with every sheath when I line each one with top grain leather.

Paul

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 6:18 PM
  9. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    It sure makes a nicely finished product. Especially the inside. More hassle with all of the cement but I believe it's worth it. Added benefit of using thinner leather for heavier duty use.

10. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Their might be some waterproofing benefits. I haven't tested it but maybe there is some. I cover both surfaces 100 percent. Then roll out any lumps or air pockets.

11. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 5, 2015
    Very nice work!

Todd