lamination lines?

recently I bought a Fällkniven pxl with maroon micarta grips.
A solid built knife with thick liners and a beefy blade out of laminated 3g steel.
The blade is nicely centered and as far as the eye can the primary grinds are even and symetrical. But one thing did concern me, the lamination distannce from the edge where the 3g inetersects with the VG2 outer laminate is uneven. One one side it is 2 to 2,5 mm and on the other side its 4 to 5 mm.

is this normal and does it effect strength or durabilty?

I read on the german messerforum that this was not uncommon with fallkniven laminates.

Offcourse I do not want to complain but for one of the most expensive production folder you would expect it to be flawless.
maybe it is normal for laminated production blades, if so, my tongue did not move.:foot:

If it bothers you that much , send it back and exchange it.

The only drawback is the 'uneven' look.

Tostig

Not a Fallkniven, but the lines on my Spyderco Caly 3 ZDP aren't exactly symetrical, nor are they on any example I've seen.

This seems to be common on many laminated steel blades. I have several examples of uneven lines.

I don't pay it any attention.

Won't affect performance, but if it bugs you, see if you can get a more-centered blade.

I have seen badly-centered laminations and spot-on ones. I have to admit I prefer the latter, but only for cosmetic reasons.

The height of the lamination line line will be affected greatly by microscopic differences in grind.

If you feel that thousandth of a centimeter grind difference is going to affect performance, send it back.

But it wont.

The only maker I've seen get those lines pretty dead on symmetrical on a regular basis is Yun in his ZDP-189 core with VG-10 laminate.

Last edited:
my Fallkniven WM1-3G has a similar asymmetry on the lamination lines. my S1 has much more symmetrical lamination lines.

it doesn't seem to affect performance in any way.

one question, what are those lamination lines called? i know a Hamon is made by the differential tempering process, but what is the funky nomenclature word for the lamination marks?

my Fallkniven WM1-3G has a similar asymmetry on the lamination lines. my S1 has much more symmetrical lamination lines.

it doesn't seem to affect performance in any way.

one question, what are those lamination lines called? i know a Hamon is made by the differential tempering process, but what is the funky nomenclature word for the lamination marks?

I think it's still called a hamon.

x2 what has already been said.

I own many Fallkniven knives and the lamination lines vary from reasonably symetrical, to substantially uneven. It has not effect on the functionality or durability of the knife.

Kevin

You can try to even the lines out yourself by working back the secondary edge on whatever sharpening medium you use, but it will most likely be difficult to get it perfectly centered. It's 100% cosmetic and is just part of having a laminated blade.

Ok guys thanks.
I talked to the guys at Fällkniven Sweden, this what they wrote:

Hi,

In general, we accept variations from the all perfect symmetric ground solution as long as the edge still is formed by the powder or VG10 steel. Largely asymmetric ground blades are rejected.

A problem in using laminate blades is that the lamination lines become visible only when the blade get polished which is the final step in the production. Should we reject blades which aren’t 100 % perfect with regards to a symmetric grinding, very few blades would be accepted and the knives left would become so expensive that almost no one would consider to buy them.

We make several blades as laminates and the good reason is that such blades become much stronger and cause less problems for the customer. The negative matter is that the lamination lines seldom are all symmetric but, as a manufacturer we have accepted that as a cosmetic detail with no negative function.

However, as a customer, you have the full right to return any unused knife that isn’t acceptable to your opinion, no matter the reasons, see the sale offer from your dealer.

Best regards

Eric Hjortberger

A company with class and a straightforward answer, I am pleased with the knife as the difference in lamination width is only cosmetic.

I think it's still called a hamon.

No. It isn't. A "hamon" is the temper line created from differentially heat treating a blade for hardness.

There isn't any special word for laminated steel, or the lamination lines.

Back