1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lansky diamonds

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by sharp_edge, Sep 24, 2018.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    For years I have used the basic Lansky 5-stone sharpener with the addition of the sapphire stone and DMT 3-tube diamond pastes for stropping, for my folding knives. And I can always got them hair popping although for some steels it took hours to get there. The spyderco Delica ZDP-189 however seemed to need even more time to sharpen. Out of frustration I bought the 120 grit and 280 grit diamonds to try out and boy are they fast and effective. On this particular knife, I'd say the diamonds work at least 10 times faster to get where I want than the base stones (granted they are a bit old and worn). I plan to buy also the 600 grit diamond. These three plus the 1000 grit and 2000 grit ceramic stones should be a good to handle any super steels I assume.

2. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I bought their diamond guided kit. Extra course, course, medium and fine stones. Then added the yellow ceramic and sapphire. They cut fast. Just go easy on softer steels

3. l1ranger

l1ranger Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2017
    yup, keep the pressure light.
    the diamond stones are noticeably heavier than the others, so I try to use the weight of the stone and not much more.

willc and Mo2 like this.
  4. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Got the same setup. Made a leather strop by gluing a piece of leather to an old Lansky stone. My sapphire didn't come in true flat, but with some aluminum oxide, water & a sheet of glass; I got it pretty flat.

115Italian likes this.
  5. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Good idea with the leather. I may try that

6. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
    Yeah, the diamond stones are a must have for modern steels. I like using a few drops of mineral oil on my diamond stones (especially when new) as they are normally very aggressive and the oil also helps to float the metal to the top.

WalterEgo likes this.
  7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    the ceramic is not as hard as Vanadium so not idea for super steel with high amount of Vanadium content. They may still work, Use lightly and clean off the stones as soon as they load up, cause they'll load up fast.

Also gritomatic makes venev bonded diamond stones for the lansky too. Though the 2000 grit venev stones have been said to have some issues iirc, think they were more coarse or something like that).

sharp_edge likes this.