Lansky Sharpeners

Anyone have any opinions on Lansky Sharpeners?
I have a set that I like very much.
Easy to use and puts a good edge on my knives.
But I can't ever get my blades to the elusive level of "hair popping" sharp, even with the Ultra Fine hone.
Any tips?
How about other systems that work better?

Thanks for your input.

------------------
-Compact
:)

Patience, consistancy and practice. Make sure the rods are straight and take your time. With good steel you will be getting a shaving edge with your Lansky in a short while. Dont forget to strop after you get a nice burr.

Test the blade with your finger before dismantling, if its sharp, do a few more light strokes on each side with the fine stone...use little pressure.
Then strop like Gus said. I use an old thick leather belt with red buffing rouge rubbed on. Test on the top (away from arteries and tendons) of your weak arm
smile.gif

I agree with all of you folks. I really like the Lansky, and can't understand when I see someone say it's no good. I use it mainly for smaller blades though. I use an Edge Pro "Apex" for my larger blades. But the Lansky does a great job for me. In fact I used it recently to sharpen a Mad Dog Mongoose that came unbelievably dull. I started with the course stone at 25 degrees, went to the fine and then the extra fine. I put the final edge on using the 20 degree angle, using the above, but excluding the course. And with a tip I got from Joe Talmage, I finished the whole thing with a couple gentle swipes on both sides of the edge with the 17 degree angle, (just to make sure the "wire edge" was gone). Hair on my arm now "jumps" away before I even touch it.
smile.gif
Also, a long time ago, I bought a diamond fine stone for it and it really speeds up the sharpening. Like Gus said Compact, keep at it and be patient. And as DC said, a few more swipes with the fine, is usually all it takes to uncover that "hair popping" edge.

My Lansky works great. As you sharpen feel for the bur on the other side of the edge.Change sides and repeat till you get that bur again. Continue with all the stones that way and hopefully you will get good results.

Hope that helps.

Lansky sucks . . . I spent three hours trying to sharpen a BM Sentinel yesterday, and it was sharp but not razor sharp. 20 degree angle, 10 stokes on each side with the coarse, 20 with the next, 40 with the next, 80 with the next, and finally 160 with the finest stone. And still no razor edge. Three freaking hours and nothing. I would stroke up with one full swipe (Which in the opinion of a sword sharpener that was watching me do it,) was the best for an edge. Either, Lansky sucks, Benchmade blades are unsharpenable, or I give up. I have read like a million things on sharpening now, and I still can't sharpen a damn Benchmade. I can sharpen a Buck to slice the hairs on a Nat in fourths length wise, but not a BM?????? Grrrrrrr!!!!!
Ryan

Lansky sucks . . . I spent three hours trying to sharpen a BM Sentinel yesterday, and it was sharp but not razor sharp. 20 degree angle, 10 stokes on each side with the coarse, 20 with the next, 40 with the next, 80 with the next, and finally 160 with the finest stone. And still no razor edge. Three freaking hours and nothing. I would stroke up with one full swipe (Which in the opinion of a sword sharpener that was watching me do it,) was the best for an edge. Either, Lansky sucks, Benchmade blades are unsharpenable, or I give up. I have read like a million things on sharpening now, and I still can't sharpen a damn Benchmade. I can sharpen a Buck to slice the hairs on a Nat in fourths length wise, but not a BM?????? Grrrrrrr!!!!!
Ryan

Ryan, its not the Lansky that's the problem. Just stroking a specific number of times is not always going to work.

You should have kept at the each grit until it was sharp at that grit level before you progressed.

Read Joe's Faq for a full description.

-Cliff

Ryan,

If you haven't read Joe's sharpening FAQ you can find them at <a href="http://www.knifeart.com/knifeart/sharfaqbyjoe.html">KnifeArt.com</a>. Sounds to me as though you may have spent a lot of time reprofiling the edge but because you didn't raise a burr (or did you?) you cannot be sure that your new bevel goes right to the cutting edge. Since I read the FAQ I have concentrated on getting a burr when I sharpen my planes and chisels at work and they have never been sharper. Thanks Joe
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Clay

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 11-16-98).]

Ryan, just for a data point, I *was* able to put a great edge on my Benchmade Stryker with my Lansky system. I used a 25 degree angle (which seemed the closest to the factory angle) and still had to reshape the edge. My feeling is that you were probably still taking metal off the top of the bevel and hadn't gotten down to the edge -- especially if this was the first sharpening since the knife came from the factory.

If you're still having problems after reading the FAQ, I'm sure that Joe "You think that's sharp? I'll show you sharp!" Talmadge could help you out.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my post.
I've learned many useful things and my sharpening ability is the better for it!

------------------
-Compact

IMHO, I think the problem your having with sharpening the Sentinel on the Lansky, is the false edge. Spine clamping systems like the Lansky, do not like false edges. When you tighten the clamp using the Lansky on a false edge, the blade of your knife wants to tip sideways up or down, causing uneven bevels. The only way to compensate is to put the blade deeper into the clamp, which in turn causes steeper bevels, (Let me say that false edges, IMHO, should be sharpened with a system such as Spyderco's Sharpmaker, or freehand, if you have the touch). If you must have a false edge, and want to use a system such as the Lansky, you have to make sure the bevel is equal on both sides. On a Lansky this is critical. Once you tighten the clamp, look at the tip of the blade from the spine down and make sure it is straight, and that the blade IS NOT tipped to the right or the left. Start off with the 30, (or if you prefer 25), degree angle, (using the coarse or medium stone), until you feel a slight burr on the whole edge of the opposite side, then flip it over until you get the same results. Then do the same with 25 degrees, then end with 20. Put a rough edge on or a polished edge, (your choice). Once I get past the 30, (or 25), degree step, I switch to an optional Lansky fine diamond stone, (makes quick work of the sharpening), to finish the 25 and 20 degree steps. If you want a coarse edge, finish with the medium stone. If you want a good utility edge, finish with the fine stone, and if you want the polished edge, finish with the extra fine stone. One more point, when you get this procedure down, make sure to mark your clamp or make a mental picture of where you had the blade clamped. This way you will know how deep your clamp should go when you tighten it down, and you can just touch it up with the 20 degree angle. Also as Joe T. says, you can strop it on an old leather belt, or the cardboard back of a writing tablet.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I have always heard that sharpening first at a lesser angle ie 20 degree than moving to a steeper angle 25 degree is best. I recently bought a Razor -edge system along with their book and it seems to confirm my thoughts.
Droopy

Finally did it!
I got the elusive "hair popping sharp" on my old Kershaw liner lock!
After much reading and listneing to the suggestions posted here I was able to do it.
I cannot express the satisfaction this brings me adequately enough.
I just wanted to send my thanks to all those who helped me once again!

------------------
-Compact

Back