Lansky Stone Lifetime

How long do your Lansky stones last? I think I got about 3 knives out of my last set. Am I doing something wrong. I was establishing and edge in S35VN.

What type of stones are you asking about? The ones with the guided sharpening system? Diamond or regular? Either way, you should be getting more than 3 knives out of them. How exactly are they not lasting?

maybe your stones might be clogged, and not cutting ? the reguar stones clog, the diamond ones dont seem to.

I have used a Lansky regular stones set for over twenty years with Buck oil for sharpening stones. I bought a new Lansky set with diamond stones but have only used it a couple times...it works very well but the old set does too with honing oil. I sharpen folding knives with them and I sharpen my hunting knives with a belt grinder and a new 400 grit belt going slow enough not to heat up the edge. I only use the belt grinder for new knives I have made after finishing and use a stone for further sharpening. Most of my hunting knives are sharpened at an angle of about 23 degrees and I sometimes strop them lightly with a leather belt and K&G green compound. Works for me but I know that there are dozens of good sharpening systems including the large whetstone slab and hard Arkansas stones. My opinion is use what works for you. I have seen a lot of nice knives that are sharp and the makers use a variety of sharpening methods. If your edge will cut a phone book page then it will certainly field dress your deer. Larry

maybe your stones might be clogged, and not cutting ? the reguar stones clog, the diamond ones dont seem to.

I'm guessing clogged or need to be flattened. even little stones should last 100's of knives.

@larryz10 - I picked up an XXCoarse DMT continuous diamond 8" for initial bevel creation. It saved myself lots of time fine tuning the bevel after the initial grind on the 2x72.

My extra coarse stone didn't last long. I'm going to slowly replace the worn stones with diamond stones. My dad has had three lansky sets in the last 30 years or so and the stones on this third set are on their last legs. While I feel the stones on the guided system are soft, I think there's something very wrong if you've done three knives and they are already worn out. Maybe you putting too much pressure on the stone? Maybe that supersteel is too hard for it? Maybe you got a Friday set?

My first set of regular lansky's lasted maybe 30 knives before they became a bit concave. I eventually upgraded to a set of their diamond stones and have sharpened upwards of 50 knives with them; they have yet to show any signs of wearing out.

If you sharpen frequently or on hard steels, diamond is the way to go in my opinion.

Like others have asked, exactly how are your stones 'wearing out' there is now way they are worn out after 3 knives regardless of what kind of stones you are using.

Tell us how your stones are worn and we can possibly we can help you.

I soak new stones in oil a week before using and then after- keeping them in oil

A nice thin light oil, thinning with mineral spirits.

Too much pressure will strip the abrasive off a diamond stone.

I think if your ESTABLISHING the edge on S35VN as you state that might be the problem. IMHO stones aren't made to establish a edge but to define a edge. If you don't have or want to use a belt sander to establish a edge may I suggest welding or brazing a rod on a file so you can use the lansky clamp to establish the edge. THEN go to stones for the final sharpening. Diamond stones are your friend HOWEVER do not put pressure on them to hog off material but let them do there work with very little pressure on them or you will wear them out prematurely. That goes for regular stones too.

I think if your ESTABLISHING the edge on S35VN as you state that might be the problem. IMHO stones aren't made to establish a edge but to define a edge. If you don't have or want to use a belt sander to establish a edge may I suggest welding or brazing a rod on a file so you can use the lansky clamp to establish the edge. THEN go to stones for the final sharpening. Diamond stones are your friend HOWEVER do not put pressure on them to hog off material but let them do there work with very little pressure on them or you will wear them out prematurely. That goes for regular stones too.

I think you are right. The stones look like the abrasive has come off. They do not cut any more. The extra course you can see the abrasive still on the end of the stone but in the middle it is totally gone. Too much pressure and trying to do too much with them.

Too much pressure, more than anything, likely.

I've reprofiled large bowies, and mine lasted 20+years.

They are dished now, and honestly I have not used them for years now. I have a belt sander, sand paper, regular stones etc, so they are in a box now.

Back