Lansky stones

I have the deluxe standard lansky set and the deluxe diamond set. I also have the super sapphire and the leather strop for the lansky set. My question is has anyone seen a published progressive list of all the lansky stones say from the coarsest to the finest grit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the Lansky web site will have that.
Maybe not in the order you're looking for, but they list all the stones they make.

Hi,

bosq/grinding_and_honing_part_1.pdf lists most of them all in order along with other stones

If you try to look up the numbers in The Grand Unified Gritchart ( spreadsheet ) they dont quite match up ... but close enough ... seems like lansky has its own grit system thats close to CAMI?

Also Sharpening Supplies gives the grit numbers
descriptions

• lansky extra coarse 70 grit
    bosq 180 micron ~+F80 ~+CAMI 80
    Extra-Coarse Grit (Black): super fast cutting stone cuts away large amounts of steel from extremely dull, deteriorated edges. (Lansky Item # S0070)
  • lansky coarse stone 120 grit
    bosq 110 micron ~F120 ~~CAMI 120
    Coarse Grit (Red): used to start edges on all types of knives.(Lansky Item # S0120)
  • lansky medium stone 280 grit
    bosq 45 micron / F240 ~P320
    Medium Grit (Green): excellent for keeping a fine edge sharp edge on all knives. (Lansky Item #S0280)
  • lansky fine stone 600 grit
    bosq 20 micron
    Fine Grit (Blue w/ Red stone): for touching up and finishing a sharp edge. (Lansky Item # S0600)
  • lansky ultra fine 1000 grit
    bosq 10 micron
    Ultra-Fine Grit (Yellow): this high alumina ceramic stone is used only on blades that are already extremely sharp. (Lansky Item # S1000)
  • lansky super fine 2000 grit
    Final Polishing (Super Sapphire) Grit (Blue w/ White stone): used for the final polishing of an already sharp blade to achieve the ultimate finish. (Lansky Item # S2000)

official site
Deluxe 5-Stone Knife Sharpening System | Guided Knife Sharpening Kits
  • Extra Coarse Black Hone: (70 grit) for re-profiling the bevel grind
  • Coarse Red Hone: (120 grit) for edge reconditioning
  • Medium Green Hone: (280 grit) for sharpening and less frequent touch-ups
  • Fine Blue Hone: (600 grit) for most frequent touch-ups to keep your blade paper-slicing sharp
  • Ultra-Fine Ceramic Yellow Hone: (1000 grit) for polishing the edge for a razor sharp edge

Deluxe 5-Stone Knife Sharpening System | Guided Knife Sharpening Kits
  • Extra Coarse Black Hone: (70 grit) for re-profiling the bevel grind
  • Coarse Red Hone: (120 grit) for edge reconditioning
  • Medium Green Hone: (280 grit) for sharpening and less frequent touch-ups
  • Fine Blue Hone: (600 grit) for most frequent touch-ups to keep your blade paper-slicing sharp
  • Ultra-Fine Ceramic Yellow Hone: (1000 grit) for polishing the edge for a razor sharp edge

Probably interested in
Lansky Sharpeners :: How to Get a Polished Mirror Edge Using the Lansky System

Print Post - The Grand Unified Grit Chart -
1316340420-Grit_Chart_1.png

http://myplace.frontier.com/~mr.wizard/GLGC/README.txt
http://myplace.frontier.com/~mr.wizard/GLGC/GLGC.png
GLGC.png

Last edited:
I guess after seeing those charts and information a better question to ask is should I mix the diamond stones and the regular ones in progressive order or would I be wasting my time with the regular ones until I get to the ultra fine and sapphire ones

I guess after seeing those charts and information a better question to ask is should I mix the diamond stones and the regular ones in progressive order or would I be wasting my time with the regular ones until I get to the ultra fine and sapphire ones
Hi,
Yeah, if you're trying to maximize the possible polish,
it only makes sense to
add Fine Blue Hone 600 grit
after using the 600 grit diamond
and after going with lighter and ligher and lighter force using the 600 diamond
if those are your two highest hones

You can strop with compound after that
and increase push cutting ability
and even "mirror" polish the apex (tip of edge)
as the apex is very small (~1micron)

I usually go through the diamond grits from extra coarse to fine (if reprofiling an edge), then move from the fine diamond to the medium Lansky stone, then to fine (red), yellow, blue, and then three leather Lansky hones with green red, and white/grey honing compound. This will usually provide an almost mirror finish edge, which can be refined on a .3 micron film on a flat wood hone.

I usually go through the diamond grits from extra coarse to fine (if reprofiling an edge), then move from the fine diamond to the medium Lansky stone, then to fine (red), yellow, blue, and then three leather Lansky hones with green red, and white/grey honing compound. This will usually provide an almost mirror finish edge, which can be refined on a .3 micron film on a flat wood hone.

I used them the other night almost in that order except I left out the medium regular stone and only used one leather home with no compound. Got my ka-bar mule in aus8a shave sharp and functional again. Not really sure if I can get that particular knife much sharper than that but am gonna try on a kershaw tanto next that is 8cr and see what results I can achieve before I need to sharpen my ZT or bad monkey

Back