Lanterns?

These comments have been great and really got me thinking. I have a mix of Fenix lights and candles around the house, but have never thought of them as part of a redundant back-up system for power failures. I have the REI 9 hour candles as well for winter camping--just used one this week overnight in the woods with 2 of my kids.

I'm eager to hear back on the Deitz lamps. I looked at their web site, they have many different models with different light outputs and runtimes. Confusing to be a newbie.

I have four Coleman lanterns, all different styles, and one Rayovac lantern. One Coleman burns white gas, unleaded gasoline, and kerosene. Another uses propane canisters, I have a small backpack size that uses the stove canisters, and the last one has a rechargeable battery that can charge in the home or the car.

My newest lantern is a Rayovac Sportsman LED lantern. This thing is simply amazing, and well worth the $25 it cost. It will go for 150 hours on low and puts out a huge amount of light.

I have a number of lanterns and oil lamps ranging from an old round globe railroad lantern (on the curiosity shelf with the candle lantern, both still work) through A Dietz or two to a dual fuel, 2 mantle, Coleman lantern (obnoxiously bright and glaring).

I typically fire up a 3/4" or one inch wick oil lamp to clear the air when there are cigarette smokers in the house and save the Aladdin mantle lamps for power failures.
The round wick Aladdin lamps produce the best light via their mantles but seem to consume a lot more fuel. A couple of these will easily heat a room.
The remote controlled, dim-able, LED lantern that I have is normally used for an end table lamp when camping for extended periods with the large tent.

I dislike, intensely, the overly bright glaring light from most mantle lanterns and normally manage to convince newbies that they ruin the ambiance supplied by a campfire (never have I understood the desire to light up the neighborhood for 50 yards around).

Enjoy!

Back