Lanyard danger?

I sometimes carry my compass around my neck with a piece of para cord. Recently I began thinking about what could happen if I fell and the cord got snagged on something. Or what if I fell into a river and the cord got tangled in somthing underwater? This may sound a little far fetched but It might choke you to death. Has anyone thought about this? I'm thinking about making some kind of break-away attachment so that the cord would break before it choked, but I'm not sure how. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

------------------
An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Tie a knot in each end of your para cord and
then take a shrot piece of copper wire and
make a split ring that will fit around the
two ends of the para cord snug below the two
knots. It will take a little experimenting
as to what dia. copper wire you feel will be
strong enough and yet yield and come apart.

------------------
http://www.imt.net/~goshawk
Don't walk in tradition just because it feels good!!!!!
Romans 10:9,10
Hebrews 4:12-16
Psalm 91

How about trying to attach small pieces of leather to each end of the lanyard. Then use velcro or snaps to secure them, creating a 'circuit breaker' of sorts. A picture is
lanyard.gif

Mike

[This message has been edited by Michael Bennett (edited 01-06-2000).]

This is the reason the army uses a beaded chain for dogtags, it is easily snapped in an emergency. You can pick decent beaded chains up in a lot of different places, this might solve your problem.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

I once worked on the ramp at an airport and I had a breakaway lanyard that I used to hold my Security ID Badge. You can buy them at most outdoor stores, sometimes in the form of a cord for sunglasses. It is simply a good stout length of cord with a tight fitting rubber tube holding the two ends together. If the cord gets hung up on something, one end comes out of the tube and you are free! The ones that they sell for sunglasses have two of the rubber tubes (one for each arm on the glasses) Just remove one of the tubes, and feed that end of cord into the free end of the other tube and bingo - breakaway lanyard. BTW, save the other tube and you could makes a second lanyard. It takes a fair amount of force to pull these things apart, so it is not going to just be falling off all of the time, but it is loose enoungh that it doesn't hurt to pull it apart either. I wore mine for about a year constantly near the intakes and exhausts of jet engines and had no trouble with it coming undone. Good luck.

This has been discussed several times in the past. In addition to the above measures, removing the center from 550 paracord, leaving only the outside covering, and heat sealing the two ends from which the center has been removed seems to be recommended frequently.

This is more than just a hypothetical danger. Never attach anything to yourself unless you can survive being suspended from it. This applies to wrist lanyards as well.

Walt

When I go fly fishing I have all sorts of gear strung to me. I use the little pin-on reels which let out up to 3' of cord. They're fairly secure under normal use but would certainly break free in an emergency. Having the lanyard "reeled" cuts down on having a clutter of strings.
They're just a few dollars.

Hi all,

a lanyard is a very usefull method of preventing the lose of your very important life sustaining items (knife, metal match, compass, whistle, signal mirror, etc.).

I do not lanyard anything to my neck or wrist. Everything I lanyard is attached to a loop on my pants and then the item along with excess line is placed in my pocket. The loop would easily tear away if the layard was caught when I fell.... and if it didn't then it my pants plus the lanyard may protect me from getting hurt.

Just another option... one that has worked for me for the last 20 years.

Best,

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Marion,

We must be finding our chains at different places. I have found that a quick snap will pop it apart quite easily, at least in the varietys I have seen. I will have to buy more of this , it has been a while since I tried it.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

Back