Lanyard pin without a lanyard?

I just ordered my first Chris Reeve- a Small Sebenza 21. I LOVE the way the blue lanyard pin looks, but I have no intentions on having a lanyard. Is there any way I can retain the lanyard pin in the knife without a lanyard? I don't want to glue it in... do you think some small rubber o-rings would keep it in place?

just untie the lanyard, the pin will stay in place without it.

I was actually thinking about the same thing. Maybe if you had a screw assembly (like the screws on the Seb) that was small enough to fit in there and protrude enough to not let it fall, yet tight enough to the pin to not hit the blade it could be done.

I untied the lanyard on a small 21 and the pin stayed in place, it still turned but never fell out.

I have seen two styles of lanyard pins...one with a step in it, so that it won't fall out even with the lanyard removed, and one that isn't stepped--it's perfectly smooth and even--and will fall out if the lanyard is removed. I actually have both styles, and can post pics if anyone would like.

I untied the lanyard on a small 21 and the pin stayed in place, it still turned but never fell out.

There is nothing holding it in if you remove the lanyard except slight friction due to the tolerances involved. I've removed the lanyard on my Umnumzaan and Large Regular and both times the pin dropped onto the floor.

I have seen two styles of lanyard pins...one with a step in it, so that it won't fall out even with the lanyard removed, and one that isn't stepped--it's perfectly smooth and even--and will fall out if the lanyard is removed. I actually have both styles, and can post pics if anyone would like.

That would be helpful...thanks.

I had a small 21 that I edc'd daily for month without the lanyard. The pin would rattle something crazy but never fell out, even if I prodded it. Birthcard on that one was Sept, 28, 2009.

I had a small 21 that I edc'd daily for month without the lanyard. The pin would rattle something crazy but never fell out, even if I prodded it. Birthcard on that one was Sept, 28, 2009.

Is the pin stepped?

I just received two new pins & lanyards from CRK, both are straight with no step.

don't know...I never took it apart, and I traded it for a different model. I do know it would rotate but I would even try pushing on it with a small screwdriver, and nothing happened, so it must have been stepped.

There definately seems to be two types of pins. I have two large 21's with pins and they both are not stepped and therefore fall out without the lanyard. My small 21 does not have the pin. Could it be that the Smalls have the stepped pins and the large don't?

There definately seems to be two types of pins. I have two large 21's with pins and they both are not stepped and therefore fall out without the lanyard. My small 21 does not have the pin. Could it be that the Smalls have the stepped pins and the large don't?

Bingo

A straight lanyard pin will fall out without a lanyard.

If you have a straight lanyard pin like mine all have, just slide a piece of paracord in it and mushroom both ends as close as you can to the lanyard pin. This way the lanyard can't fall out, yet you will not have a "real lanyard." :cool:

or, order a stepped pin and she will stay in without any extra work.

The small Sebenzas come with the "stepped" lanyard pin. In order to remove it out you have to take the knife apart. The large Sebenzas and Umnumzaan have the straight pins that are held in place by the cord itself.

The small Sebenzas come with the "stepped" lanyard pin. In order to remove it out you have to take the knife apart. The large Sebenzas and Umnumzaan have the straight pins that are held in place by the cord itself.

This is correct. All my small sebenzas come with "stepped" pins. They have shoulders on them so they will not fall out if there is no lanyards. I believe the large and the zann only come with straight pins.

78c9dcbb.jpg

Last edited:
I took my large and small to blade and talk to Anne about this. On the large they will come out. But the smalls tolerence keeps its pin in

Back