Lapping Shapton Glas Stones????

abey67

Gold Member
Can I use silicon carbide to lapp Shapton Glass Stones and if so, what grit do I need to use? Just curious if there is a cheaper way to flatten the stones than buying expensive diamond plates.

The Shapton Glass stones are not exactly cheap themselves so why cheap out on the most important part?

The Atoma 140 is about $80 and the ideal option. The Shapton Glass stones are all about flatness and using something like the Atoma will assure you have flat stones and a proper surface texture.

I don't think I can link it here, but chef knives to go has a 140 grit diamond plate that I have had for a little over a year now and I'm very happy with it. It was pretty inexpensive and I would buy it again.

IMG_2986.jpg The Atoma 140 can be used for Shaptons below 500. The Shapton 270/325 can be used for Shaptons 500 and above. Above: the Atoma 140 below: the Shapton 270/325 SGLP (Shapton Glass Lapping Plate).

Can I use silicon carbide to lapp Shapton Glass Stones and if so, what grit do I need to use? Just curious if there is a cheaper way to flatten the stones than buying expensive diamond plates.
Yes of course you can, shapton even markets their own imported luxury powders with a little hippo on the bottle ( hippo is real gold :p )
shapton-korrekturpulver.jpg

quote=https://www.fine-tools.com/G-korrekturpulver.html
SHAPTON Correction Powder for Lapping Plate
For coarse stone with grit from 120 to 320 you use the coarse powder (120 grit).

For medium sharpening stones with grit from 1000 to 2000 you use the medium powder (180 grit). If these stones are heavily worn, you can use the coarse powder.

For honing stones with grit 5000 to 12000 you use the fine powder (3000 grit). If these stones are heavily worn, you can use the medium powder (180 grit).

For the extreme fine polishing and honing stone grit 30000 you exclusively use the fine powder (4000grit).

Get all three for only $65 or $86 or $101 :rolleyes:

If you own multiple stones its possible to use coarser stones to flatten/condition finer stones
and if you combine a $1 hardware store ceramic tile
with some coarse grit (from automotive store? sandblasting? economy coarse sic stone)
you're in business

harbor freight sells Rock Polishing Abrasives in same/similar as grits as shapton for under $20
same as ebay

You don't need diamonds to flatten stones, but you also don't need imported luxury golden hippo [sup]:p[/sup]diamonds

Chinese diamond plates can be had for ~$5 - $20 - $40 , for ~6x~3in, ~6in/~8in square or circle, ~8x~3in (CKTG, SK-11, Taidea...)

Even cheaper than powders is a Winco 12inch x2.5inchx1.5inch silicon carbide stone 120/240 grit 3lb , for ~$11 shipped

The problem with using SiC powder as opposed to a diamond plate, is flattening becomes a separate process, and combined with the setup, mess, etc.... something you're less likely to do. As opposed to a diamond plate, where, you can easily maintain the stone in just a few seconds, anytime during sharpening, with basically no setup... so you're more likely to keep the stone "tuned up", fresh, and ready to go. You'll also have less chance of contaminating your sharpening stone, and get more predictable results with a diamond stone.

I was turned off to the silicon carbide powder because it became embedded in my glass stones. Took a while to figure this out but it was frustrating to have expensive stones and shitty results.

I guess its less of an issue now that i know but i just avoid the issue and use a diamond plate.

I was turned off to the silicon carbide powder because it became embedded in my glass stones. Took a while to figure this out but it was frustrating to have expensive stones and shitty results.

I guess its less of an issue now that i know but i just avoid the issue and use a diamond plate.
Hi,
What grit stones with what grit powder? How many passes or laps or minutes?

I just lapped mine a few minutes ago on my DMT 10 inch 220
For me it's theeeeee way to go. Simple, fast, easy to clean up and I have that large, nice , coarse diamond plate to sharpen on.

Back