Large Knife made by "Mission" Argentina

Gentlemen, I traded for a large "Goucho" style knife made by a company or person named "Mission" made in Argentino. The blade simply is marked "Mission" and under that "Argentina". The markings are made deeply into the blade like a Randall. Got it from a man that lived there 10 years ago. It seems to be a custom knife of quite high quality. He paid $200 American back then for the knife. Knife seems to be forged, stag handle, blade probably 12-13 inches, kindsa shaped like a large chef's knife, very nice sheath made to wear with a "sash" not a belt. I would appreciate any info. that anyone has on these knives. I'm impressed with the knife. It is the lightest, quickest, big knife I've ever held. Takes an edge better than most knives I've had, and I've had most. If anyone's heard of "Mission" knives anything would be appreciated. May not be custom but appears to be. Under the right lightning the blade seems to be hammer forged from the slight irregularities visible. Thanks in advance for help.

I purchased one of these knives from the Gaucho knives website in Argentina about a year ago. It was also marked "Mission". I paid about ten bucks US for it plus post. The blade did have some 'irregularities" that suggested it was largely hand made if not hand forged. Quality was average - it took an edge ok but edge holding wasn't that great. The knive was about 12 inches with a nice timber grip (they had stag as well) and was quite thin and lightweight. I sold the knife as it didn't appeal to me much - quality was average. Maybe some of their models are better than others.

have added a pic below

mission4.jpg

2manyknives, the knife in your picture is not similar to any of the patterns of "gaucho" (a term that tends to be used loosely) knives.

Mission is a small factory and they don't make very good quality blades (sorry guys, but it's the truth), they are mostly souvenirs for tourists. $200 US is a ridiculously high price for such a knife, most high quality customs in Argentina are well under that amount. Most Mission knives retail for $15 to $50 (US).

Toomanyknives, Thanks for the info. The knife I have is very similiar to yours but with stag. I do disagree with the description of the steel. I'd love to know just what it is. As mine takes an edge better that anything I've ever sharpened. Don't know if it would hold it long but it sure takes an edge. I looked up the Ebay seller of some of thes knives and they seem to be about $55 and $25 shipping. have no idea about the exchange rates in Argentina but it appears to be a value to me. I own Randalls (Model 21 & 25), several Bark Rivers, Cold Steels, customs by Fisk, Crowell, Keesler, Fitch, and many more non-customs to mention. This knife is a little crude but I like it. I'm still trying to find the maker to contact them. Thanks a bunch. Best regards and have a great day.

Hi mes228 - likewise I haven't a clue what steel they use but can only describe the experience I had with one of their knives. Their prices do seem to have gone up - I looked up my records and I paid $9 at auction and $9.95 shipping to Australia about a year ago.

Franciscomv - my reference to Gaucho knives was to the name of the website that sold these knives, not to the style of the knife itself. I agree with you that it is nothing like the generally accepted "Gaucho" pattern.

The thing is, for $50 you can get a great custom in Argentina.

Mission knives, at least the ones I've handled (at least 30) have thin blades that will take a wicked edge (I'll give them that), but are not good for utility work. They are quite popular as cheap asado (barbecue) knives.

Back