Large Luzon

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by AF, May 16, 2020.

1. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Haven't seen much discussion of this XL but it appears to be quite popular.
    Now that I have one I understand why. First off, it's priced well. It's very smooth on bearings and it looks cool.
    Some things I've observed in the brief time I've had it.
    Lock is a bit sticky. Combined with strongly sprung lockbar makes disengagement a bit uncomfortable if done repeatedly. Detent is not weak as some have reported. Yes blade can be shaken out but that's the nature of a large, thick blade with a liner lock. Surprising to me is that it's not ground thickly. Stock thickness behind the edge is about 0.022-0.025" and it remains that thickness out to the tip. It came dull. Sharpened up and it slices very well. Pocket clip is ugly but works fine. Flipper tab would benefit from some jimping. Balance is fairly neutral, similar to Ti Lite. The safety does not rattle on mine as I read some reports of.
    Overall the knife feels somewhat cheap but it is cheap and you can't complain.
    Gave it a satin finish, 220 grit.
    [​IMG]

DocJD, dogstar and johnnywizzo like this.
  2. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Just added some flipper tab jimping with Dremel. So much better.

DocJD likes this.
  3. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Mar 1, 2018
    I really enjoy mine. I was playing with it just this morning. Mine came shaving sharp but I had an issue with the liner lock refusing to engage unless you gave it a vigorous snap. So I sent it to CS (their dime) and after a lengthy wait, I got it back with a properly adjusted liner lock. But it had an off-centered blade, not how I sent it in. That was a simple fix for me. However, the secondary safety won't engage unless opened rather forcefully. I like the knife for what it is, in spite of its warts.

DocJD and AF like this.
  4. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    The liner on mine will engage more deeply with a forceful open. I did notice upon reassembly both times that it was finicky with centering and lockup. I couldn't tell what was going on but after tightening the body screws the centering got worse and the liner barely engaged. I backed them off and retightened and it was fine. Same thing happened both times I reassembled it.
    The pivot is a T8 and the body screws are T6. You need two T6 drivers because the body hardware is a long post with screw. They are free spinning.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  5. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Probably in the minority here, but I’d love to see a Tri-Ad Luzon in Aus10a or S35VN.

DocJD likes this.
  6. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    From looking at photos, I had thought that the index finger cutout would be uncomfortable if gripped in that position. That's not the case. Handle is comfortable when gripped far up or back and pocket clip does not create any hotspots.
    It's pretty bulky in Levis 505 with a wallet also in the front pocket. The Ti-Lite and especially the Frenzy carry better.

DocJD likes this.
  7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Yeah , me too !

Would be lots more expensive :(, but also a much better knife . Less fussy and needy ! ;)

DangerZone98 likes this.
  8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek: Probably the best available for it's size . Great handle and clip , too . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Weiss, DangerZone98 and johnnywizzo like this.
  9. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I envy you Talwar owners. :(

DocJD likes this.
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :rolleyes: You too can be for a price !

I see them at that auction place sometimes ,but at higher prices than I like . :(:thumbsdown:

I have an both a 5.5" and a 4" in the old AUS8A , full serrated . Good enough for me !

But still wouldn't mind also having a plain edged in both sizes with maybe XHP and coyote handles . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::p

johnnywizzo and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Mar 1, 2018
    I picked up a 5.5" in XHP with coyote handles several months ago. It was NIB but I paid way too much for it. I just wanted to get it in the house! I figure I won't be buying too many knives when I'm in the nursing home...

DocJD likes this.