large or small sebenza which to carry

cofade2black

Gold Member
Ok here is my problem I have 2 micarta sebenza 21 one small and the other large, I keep going back and forth on which one I should carry daily. I tend to lean to the small because it is more compact and people friendly. I just wanted to know what your thoughts is on the matter?

For me personally I prefer the large. If you keep leaning towards the small that’s where I’d go if I was you. I had larges before the one small I own. The small never really made its way into the rotation. At one time it somewhat became a Sunday knife or a casual carry but that faded away as well.

I have always liked smaller lighter knives for my EDC. They seem to handle my daily needs just fine and you barely know they are there. The final answer is personal taste and needs. If you have need for the larger knife then it makes sense. If not I would go small.
In fact I bought a small micarta from you many years back

If the small takes care of your daily chores, then that’s the route to go. Personally, I prefer the large for carrying. I’ve got two smalls that don’t get carried very often.

For me I only carry Large 21s. They just work better for me and what I do at work every day. If you really are happy with the small then go that route. They are great knives either way! I don’t think there is really a wrong or right answer here..

That is definitely a matter of personal preference, I am a small carrier because they fit in my pockets better and can handle any daily cutting task I need. The larges are just a bit too bulky for me, but you will get plenty of people here who prefer them!

I had both the large and small Sebenza but i sold the small.

IMO the small is the best EDC if you can have only one CRK, but I ended preferring the small inkosi, which is even smaller, as my “office” EDC.
It took me some time to get used to the small handle of the Inkosy but it has became my most carried EDC.

As a consequence I only carry large Sebenzas now.
I feel better with the large size sebenza.

actually for 3 years now my most carry knives are 1) my small PJ silver hardware Inkosi 2) my large Sebenza21 insingo with red linen micarta inlays ;)

I’ve never felt under-knifed with a Small and they’re pretty close to unnoticeable when clipped in a pocket. That said I do think the Large is a bit more versatile and, when it comes down to it, it just feels better in my hand. Decisions, decisions...

When I carry a CRK, probably 90-95% of the time it's a large inkosi micarta. The remainder is split fairly equally between a large 21 snakewood and a small WC 21...and I'm pretty sure the WC hasn't been in my pocket in the past year - last time I considered it, it was all gummed up & in need of cleaning; so I put it away and grabbed something else. I'll probably end up selling the small WC at some point - that is not a solicitation for offers - but, maybe I'll pull it out and clean it tonight, as long as I'm up.

Last edited:
I live in a free state and work in a permissive environment, and I love my larges. I normally have one or two larges plus my small Rhino CGG just in case as a back up. Because variety is the spice of life.

Whatever is in your comfort range. When I’m in an urban jungle or out to a restaurant I carry a small Sebenza, inkosi, or mnandi. I carry a large everywhere else. When I started getting into and carrying knives I was living and working just outside D.C. so a large knife did not fly. In a sense, carrying a smaller knife when out and about is ingrained in me. But these days if I carry a large knife in an urban area I reach for a lighter large knife like an endura but couple it with a small Sebenza or Inkosi.

Last edited:
The small is all you need, the large all you want.
In the city the small is a good choice, also during summertime.
Outdoors the large is the way to go, as out in the nature it is not that large anymore.
Sometimes, dreaming of adventures, the large is preferred.
Rest assured, there is no wrong answer to this question.

I used to cary mostly smalls. They give me all the knife I really need.
For whatever reason, I’ve been trending large for the last year for no other reason than I just kinda feel like it.

Wardrobe plays a part too. If summer ever chooses to grace my part of the globe I might be back to small again.

E5215967-D771-4337-A41A-6395D496E443.jpeg Large makes a great worker. I keep telling myself I need to give the small 21 more of a chance but I just can’t ever bring myself to do it, but on the same hand I won’t sell it :confused:

Large all the way... big hands, lots of cardboard, a small seems more like a toy, and Umfaan like a 'miniature" ... Ti-lock is as small as I can go...

The Large 21 and even Nyala are on the smaller side than what I'm used to carry. Then again we can't carry knives here unless there is a good reason for it. Worksite, hunting, fishing etc. That Marttiini has been my hunting knife for the past 15 years.

1AYeJr7.jpg

I rotate between small and large 21s and a large Inkosi. Seems like the one I happen to have on me at any given time is my favorite. At the moment that's the small, but I had been exclusively carrying the lg Inkosi for 3 or 4 weeks before that. The small 21 has enough blade for everything I do, but the handle is a bit cramped, especially if I'm working hard with the knife. I very much appreciate the light weight and compact size though I probably actually carry my large 21 more than either of the others.

Back