Large Paring Knife

TLA

Gold Member
I wanted to show everyone my latest knife from John. This is a larger version of his paring knife. I sent John several emails about other knife designs with a ton of questions and as always he took the time to answer all of them. Then I remembered seeing a picture of his paring knife and how the people that owned one really like them. I thought to myself that I already have some outdoor type of knives made by John but not really a kitchen knife form him. So once again I sent him an email asking him if he had any 1/16" 440C steel left and luckily he still had just enough to make this knife.

So this last time I was home the knife arrived and we started using it. The first thing I used it for was to cut up around 50-55 stalks of rhubarb for my wife Shannon and it held up perfectly. Now the knife wouldn't shave hair afterwards but the edge was still ready for more work. This is a good testament of John's outstanding heat treat. After the rhubarb I gave it a few strokes on my Spyderco ultra fine ceramic rods and my strop and the edge was back to being razor sharp. We took it with us on our road trip to Fairbanks to get our new pup where we used it to slice up tomatoes and spread mayonnaise for our sandwiches and other edc cutting task. Shannon really likes this knife and the way it feels in her hand and I have to agree with her. What I discovered about this knife is that it's more than just a pairing knife, its an all around great little utility knife that can be used for a number of task.

A7DBFD10-C841-43CC-A30F-8125AD2A52E6.jpeg
1202E69D-1F47-4B6F-8A86-29B18628E887.jpeg

Last edited:
Back