• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Large Plain Sebenza as a "hard use" knife...

I'm considering choices for a new folder for work. I'm a LEO and the nature of my work sometimes demands a good, solid, heavy-duty folder. I'm looking at some new options and one I'm considering is the Large Plain Sebenza. I know from my research that I can expect a Sebenza to be extremely well made with a very solid lock up. I guess my concern is that I would be hesitant to use it as a field knife and I really need a "user". Do you Sebenza owners use yours for "dirty work"? Do you worry about scratching it up and carrying it as a no-kidding "user" knife? Any insight would be appreciated.
Gonzo

I purchased the Sebenza with the intent to use it as a "hard use" knife and I am not afraid to get it scratched. Although I have not used it for very long, I can assure you that it can hold up to the toughest duties (as long as you're not using it improperly, like prying stuff).

You will be hesitant to use it only if you are afraid of scratching it. But once you realize that it will last you a lifetime, you won''t be afraid of scratches. It adds character.

I guess another reason why people would be hesitant of using it is because they're afraid of losing it. You just gotta be careful.

It is a great hard use knife that is practical to carry. I bought a Strider PT as a possible user. The Strider wound up being sold and the Sebenza in my pocket. What specific tasks as an LEO do you do? Looking at a Sebenza as a hard use blade is a great idea. I know a lot of LEOs who get autos because they can and as neat as they may be, most do not hold up to heavy work as the plunge lock, the lock used on most autos, is notoriously weak compared to other locking mechanisms.

another very good knife is the doug ritter gripper it has the same blade stile and it is a s30v steel as well made by bench made has a axis lock can be opened with eather hand and is only about 115.00 its a good knife

another very good knife is the doug ritter gripper it has the same blade stile and it is a s30v steel as well made by bench made has a axis lock can be opened with eather hand and is only about 115.00 its a good knife

As good of a blade as it is, I wouldn't put it in the same league as a Sebenza tho.

Being completely honest, my 2 favorite folders are the Large Classic Sebenza and the Benchmade 710D2 (plain edge). Those are the 2 knives I find in my pocket most often. I carry the Sebenza outside of work and in. I really only carry the 710 at work. I think for a hard use work knife edc you can't go wrong with either one. It's just what you're willing to spend. They 710 goes for about $110 on Ebay and the Large Sebenza goes for $375 in stores and everywhere from $250-$375 on Ebay depending on if it's new or used or if you just got lucky. The only thing that would make the 710 a much better choice is if you have to wear gloves at work. I find the axis lock much easier to unlock with a gloved hand than ANY other lock on the market. It doesn't match the quality of the Seb but I also don't think you'd ever have a problem with it. The D2 steel is excellent and holds a sharp edge. I know I haven't had ANY problems with my 710. If you've got the cash at your disposal for a knife I'd go with the Reeve knife however. You'll find that it hogs all the pocket time. My large and small sebs are the only ones I carry outside of work now with some rare exceptions like my Case trapper for when I go fishing.

-Paul

Hollow grind of the sebenza's blade is the best i've seen. The only thing that the benchmade has common with the sebie is the material. The benchmade is a good knife but we are not questioning sebenza's alternatives.

I have a large reg. Sebby I EDC and love it.I bought it with the intentions of buying other CRKs but this one is for work. You won't go wrong with a Sebenza,easy to take apart and clean and built like a Fort Knox Vault.

MPE

I think a large Sebbie would be an EXCELLENT knife for an LEO.
I do not worry about scratching my Sebbies. Sebenza DOES mean work in Zulu. If I were a LEO, I WOULD use my large Sebbie on duty.

Ditto what was said above. The reliability of the Seb in conjunction with it's compact size relative to blade length makes it a great choice.:thumbup:
I would also suggest that you think about getting an NICA large Tanto for LEO work. It has a very stout tip.

If you buy one you'll buy many more they are addictive. You also won't be disappointed using it as a "hard use knife" thats what it was Designed for. The first few scratches are the worst after that you won't worry anymore.

Hello,
I do carry my Sebenza for dirty work. However, I dare not do this in the beginning. After I practicing and knowing how to sharp my sebenza, I feel comfortable to carry my Sebenza for hard use.
Do I concerning about scratching it up and carrying it as a no-kidding "user" knife? No. Because I have another one Sebenza for collecting.

Best Regards,

I have been carrying a Lg Sebenza on duty for about 7 years (on and off). It has never let me down. The reason why they are so useful for police work is that they are easy to maintain. My first sebbie went to hell and back for the first few years I was on an entry team. Very solid knives.

Back