1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Large Sebenza/Insingo FULL BACK SPACERS...

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by BOOMER52, May 11, 2017.

1. roadracer46

roadracer46 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2011
    I'm digging the squared v scallops

2. BOOMER52

BOOMER52 CNC Custom Scalesmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2013
    Made several test machinings this weekend with tweaks to the code each iteration. I'm now at a point where this morning I machined my prototype example in scrap black G10. Once off the CNC I fully assembled the knife checking fitment, kerf clearance and overall appearance. All looks good...!

Next is the machining of a proofing spacer in black canvas Micarta using the squared 'V' scallop profile.

Here's a few photos of the black G10 prototype...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thin-Slice likes this.
  3. roadracer46

roadracer46 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Looks good!!!!

4. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Moving forward from testing with black scrap G10 to proofing with black canvas Micarta... the back spacer fits perfectly. I ran off a short run of four... put one in my Sebenza but what I finally noticed and what I didn't think all the way through was that with the machined nub approach the back spacer material... Micarta or carbon fiber... is visible when looking into the lanyard holes. This may not be acceptable to CRK purists and I personally don't care for it either.

On the Small 21 I used the stepped lanyard pin to fix the rotation of the back spacer around the stock metal spacer. With this Large back spacer I designed a machined indexing nub that uses the knife's lanyard hole in the presentation scale to prevent rotation. I thought this approach had solved the issue of rotation since the Large has a non shouldered or straight lanyard pin which cannot be used.

So... seeking another solution I thought it might be possible to use a Large Sebenza 21 body pin and body screw in the lanyard hole. This in effect would take the place of the lanyard pin and I could use the same method as I used with the Small 21... but it appears the lanyard hole is not chamfered as deeply as the body holes and the CRK hardware would sit proud of the scale surface.

This may not be solvable... but I did locate a Titanium .187" plain button headed pivot assembly that I'm going to investigate as a solution. The ONLY issue is that it is TORX rather than HEX. That introduces an appearance discordance.

I'm thinking to possibly flame color this Ti hardware and try to get it into the blue spectrum to match the thumb stud and lanyard pin hue. Pricey little suckers and the standard $8.95 shipping charges from TiConnector sucks... we shall see...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Pondering on this appearance issue where peering down the lanyard holes and seeing the black canvas OR carbon fiber (when and if I get that far) of the back spacer... I think it might be prudent to get the three Micarta back spacers left out of the short run I machined into some other knives. Get some feedback on whether seeing the material surface at the bottom of the hole is acceptable or not.

So... I'll place the three I have on the Knife EXCHANGE in Gadgets & Gear (Individual) at a discount. 100% money back if you are not satisfied... I would just ask for feedback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]