Large Sebenza Lock Stick

I know lock stick is annoying but you can also live with it. You said it's just a little, right? Does it affect your ability to disengage the lock? If it doesn't that's why CRK probably said it's fine. If it takes effort to disengage the lock then take it up with CRK again because that isn't how the knife is supposed to function. The knife doesn't sound broken or unusable so I don't think you HAVE to sell it, but you shouldn't have these issues with the inkosi or Unnumzaan that you are considering. Just please disclose this to the next buyer so they know what they are getting.

Absolutely. Yeah, functionally it is fine, it just personally bugs me in a knife of this price. I just also wanted to know if this was an issue with a lot of Large 21s, or if I should just want for the Large Insingo Inkosi. My other 2 CRKs are just fine (Mnandi and Small Seb).

Make sure you arent slathering the grease on the washers or using something like nano oil (that stuff gets everywhere). I tried out time nano oil on a sebenza awhile back and noticed the lock moving as I gripped the knife. I could push it to almost 100% with a lot of effort. Turns out the nano oil had seeped out on to the lock bar and blade Tang and it was slicker than snot. I broke it down and cleaned everything thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and then went back to just a small amount of crk grease and through the nano oil in the trash. Lock up is back to normal.

Make sure you arent slathering the grease on the washers or using something like nano oil (that stuff gets everywhere). I tried out time nano oil on a sebenza awhile back and noticed the lock moving as I gripped the knife. I could push it to almost 100% with a lot of effort. Turns out the nano oil had seeped out on to the lock bar and blade Tang and it was slicker than snot. I broke it down and cleaned everything thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and then went back to just a small amount of crk grease and through the nano oil in the trash. Lock up is back to normal.

I have tried little grease, lots of grease, nano oil, dry, etc etc. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Running it dry actually had more lock stick than having grease on the lockface actually.

Absolutely. Yeah, functionally it is fine, it just personally bugs me in a knife of this price. I just also wanted to know if this was an issue with a lot of Large 21s, or if I should just want for the Large Insingo Inkosi. My other 2 CRKs are just fine (Mnandi and Small Seb).
I gotcha, yeah I would say I don't think it's a prevailing issue with 21s, although given the design it could always happen again or develop over time with a different 21. I wouldn't get an inkosi just to avoid lock stick, but I still highly recommend the inkosi because the inkosi is great.

I gotcha, yeah I would say I don't think it's a prevailing issue with 21s, although given the design it could always happen again or develop over time with a different 21. I wouldn't get an inkosi just to avoid lock stick, but I still highly recommend the inkosi because the inkosi is great.

How is the Inkosi in hand compared to the Sebenza ?

How is the Inkosi in hand compared to the Sebenza ?
It all depends on how your hands interact with the finger grooves. The sebenza is less risk ergonomically; it works with a larger variety of hands. But if the inkosi grooves match the hand, it seems more solid and confidence inspiring. It's a stout knife, even though north-south it's a little shorter. It feels thicker (in a good way) although it's the same thickness as a 21.

It all depends on how your hands interact with the finger grooves. The sebenza is less risk ergonomically; it works with a larger variety of hands. But if the inkosi grooves match the hand, it seems more solid and confidence inspiring. It's a stout knife, even though north-south it's a little shorter. It feels thicker (in a good way) although it's the same thickness as a 21.

I have small-medium hands and the Sebenza fits in my hand really well. What a shame since I don't have a dealer near by to try one out.

I've had pretty bad lock stick on two large micarta 21s. One of them eventually kinda broke in though it never totally went away.

The other I fixed by slightly decreasing the lockbar tension. Any frame lock, if over-sprung will develop stick. Sebenzas are no exception.

I have small-medium hands and the Sebenza fits in my hand really well. What a shame since I don't have a dealer near by to try one out.
Yeah it's hard to say. I have medium hands and both the small and large work for me (small inkosi is a little better). I've seen people with both large and small hands say they work, and that they don't. o_O

I have a little bit of lock stick in classic and regular sebenzas, doesn't really bother me though as long as it doesn't make disengaging the lock bar difficult. I had framelocks with steel inserts that had no lock stick at all but I don't really care so I'll stick to CRK

I had a large 21 a number of years ago that was very aggravating. Never really got any better.

Last edited:
IMG_0042.JPG Are you guys thumb flicking? I ride the thumb stud all the way and not noticed any lock stick. In the past after a hard cut I have noticed the lock bar a smidgen deeper. If I have an uber amount of force push cutting something a little bit more under the tang doesn't bother me a bit. The one on the right I pair with a traditional. The glorious usually pulls 4th of July duty but is gonna get carried this weekend. The one on the port when I think I'll get some scratch. It does not see much time

Last edited:
I don't flick my CRKs. I usually give a them a sharp nudge that pops them out about half way then I rotate to fully open.

No, no pressure at all. Sometimes there is no stick, but most of the time is just a bit of stick. Though sometimes there is a lot of stick. I don't know what else to do other than just sell it.

HbsEfpo.jpg

Gkf5l9I.jpg

CmHcAoq.jpg
Did you ever try drawing a pencil on the lock bar face?

Back