Recommendation? Large SS knives

I see you mentioned the Condor Golock. I have one and the handle is very round so it rolls in the hand some what when chopping. The blade grind is very thick also. It's some thing to think about.
Does the "ball" at the hand of the handle is round too?

Yes the whole handle is kind of round. I thought about sanding it flatter but the pins would also file down and then the handle would work loose most likely. I though about putting some rubber over the handle maybe. I also noticed that some really like the pack golock, it's the smaller version of the golock.

The Gerber bear grylls would fit that bill. I think they are making them in green now.

(I actually don't mind mine)

Looks like they have ditched bear. And it is just the Gerber ultimate.

Last edited:
Well, I did plan on the extreme. In fact, I've planned a couple of blade to carry beside it;

-Condor Golok machete for camp clearing and branch trimming

-Silky bigboy 360mm large teeth as a safe and fast way to remove tree in the way and trim fallen tree for fire

-Estwing 14" sportman's axe for splitting wood, acting as a hammer for shelter and to keep as my main secondary survival blade.

-Leatherman surge for the overall light duty back-up, additional tool and mecanical add-on

So, I'm not looking for a big chopper or for a good cutter. I want a large knife for small wood process, like feather stick, battonning 1-2" stick and shelter building, for self defense and for a bit of prying digging.

Later I will start to look for a short and slim blade for fish and general food processing.

If I may ask, would you consider longer blade than what I'm currently looking for? I was reluctant because longer blade are generally thinner or heavier and because I've already planned stuff for big wood purpose.

Ps; I did consider the eickhorn solingen b2005can

I find the axe and big knife redundant. The condor is a nice blade but not the best chopper of dry wood, but the saw will handle that fine, especially the big boy. The big boy is an awesome saw, probably overkill for most outings but I think it makes things move a lot faster and maybe saves energy there. I've cut nearly 1 foot thick trees with it when clearing downed trees.

I like the golok but I like my myparang parang more. Better wood processor, not as good of a trail clearing tool.

If you really want the axe to come along, I think a longer, thinner tool makes sense over the golok. But, i love goloks and parangs as very versatile heavy use tools and the condor isn't a bad tool at all. The SYKCO 1311 is one of the best if you can find one on the 2nd hand market. Shouldn't have sold mine but I wanted a stainless chopper at the time so I had one made and sold the 1311 to fund it. AEB-l is a really tough stainless and that's what my stainless chopper is made from.

Yes the whole handle is kind of round. I thought about sanding it flatter but the pins would also file down and then the handle would work loose most likely. I though about putting some rubber over the handle maybe. I also noticed that some really like the pack golock, it's the smaller version of the golock.

The whole handle handle is glued on, I don't know that peened pins add a ton to the durability handle, or you could repeen them. I liked the handle as it limited hotspots but it certainly rotates easier than most. I broke the handle of mine.

Is it easy to index? I know those kind of handle are kinda round, in fact I was teached a way to use it. The "ball" at the end of the handle is used to rotate in your palm using the muscle in your wrist, so round is the good way, but it need lil a bit of flat to index.

I find the axe and big knife redundant. The condor is a nice blade but not the best chopper of dry wood, but the saw will handle that fine, especially the big boy.
Yeah, I did find it a bit redundant. I though about it a couple of time and I decided to keep it because if something happen to the saw, the knife will poorly replace the hatchet. The machete will be used to clear sapling and cut mostly softwood, so 6mm might be overkill. The thing is I know I can abuse it fairly hard without even noticing, so using it on hardwood is a last resort.

Yeah, I did find it a bit redundant. I though about it a couple of time and I decided to keep it because if something happen to the saw, the knife will poorly replace the hatchet. The machete will be used to clear sapling and cut mostly softwood, so 6mm might be overkill. The thing is I know I can abuse it fairly hard without even noticing, so using it on hardwood is a last resort.

Fair. For me, I like the saw and then a bigger knife, specifically a swamp rat ratweiler. It can chop well enough, clear an area acceptably, and can baton quite well. I could then just get away with a saw and nimble knife like a SAK, multi, or your tradtional bushcraft/survival/woods knife of 3-5". Not gonna lie, it sucks to clear trail with compared to a proper machete or golok but I've done a fair amount with it when I just wanted to carry a single blade or whatever I was testing failed to perform. The BK9 is what many people use fornsuch things, of course.

I always thought the smaller esee junglas would be a nice option too. Now I have a swamp rat mountainmandu and a JK Hudson Bay knife that fit those roles, the JK only being 1/8" so not something to beat on too badly but it's a slick food prepper too. The mountainmandu is newer to me so the verdict is still out if carrying that much mass makes sense; it splits wood like a champ though.

I would love to hear how the whole loadout works out for you once the Pacific shows up and you put some time in with the group. A guy I went to school who I connected back up with a couple years back loved his pacific for a woods knife.

Last edited:
Back