Largest Production Folder...

I was wondering if anyone knew who makes the largest, good quality folder. The biggest I can find are the Cold Steel X2 Voyager and the Cold Steel Vaquero Grande. Both have 6" blades but I am a little iffy on Cold Steel.

Thanks,

Ed

One of the largest folders I can vouch for on the quality is the Camillus CUDA Maxx. Awesome knife, and plenty big!

Lone Wolf harsey is great.

attachment.php

You could also look at the Cammillus Aftermath.

I would not rule out the Voyagers, they're the only production knives in their size available for the sub $100 range and are worth every penny. I have beat the living hell out of the ones I've owned and they are good knives. They're made at the same factory as Spyderco, SOG and other knives in their class and IMO outpace the Spyderco's in lockup and sharpness out of the box. The Voyagers have been the mainstay of Cold Steels line so they have not done much too them to change the quality.

Not too many companies are willing to make very large folders and I give a lot of cudos to the ones who do. I just wish benchmade would come out with a 5" folder with an Axis lock and I'd be in heaven.

There's also something like the Camillus/Gibbs Maxx that has a 7 inch blade!

...Or something like that.:).

I heard that Daryl Ralph was gonna make a couple 12" bladed folders! Not production, and only a couple, and definitly more than a CS!

Thor

The Cuda Maxx is awesome. I just bought last week. I can´t refrain from carrying and using it. It is an addictive knife.

Matthias

Dr. Thor said:
I heard that Daryl Ralph was gonna make a couple 12" bladed folders! Not production, and only a couple, and definitly more than a CS!

I believe has has made some of his customs in a 12" size. :eek:

I wouldn't knock the Cold Steel Voyager / Vaquero series. I have two of the 6" Voyagers and they seem solid as a rock. They also carry and handle extremely well for their size due to their light weight. All this for a reasonable price.

Just because they also make some cheaper quality AUS6 knives and weaker linerlocks doesn't mean that all of their products are cheap quality; it just means you have to be selective. The large Voyager is alot of knife for the money IMHO.

Regards,
cds1

Camillus will be releasing a limited run of 500 7" Cuda Maxx, known as the Gibbs. They are expectind to be ready anywhere from 2 weeks to a little over a month. They had the prototype at there booth. I believe dealers are still taking orders.

Darrel will be doing the 12" Maxx folder sometime this year. Limited run of maybe 10.

For those that went to Blade, did anyof you notice the number of BIG folder this year? Crawford - 5" KFF, Hinderer had a 5" folder (don't know the name), Jones Brothers had a monster, Demko had a 5" +/- folder, Matt Cuchiarra had a 6.5" folder (mine now), and there was another maker next to Matt that had a folder just shy of 5". Reese Weiland had a few monsters. Darrel had his Maxx's. And Mike Draper delivered a massive Sabra to a customer at the show.

I dare say if all these makers keep making the BIG folders, we will see more monster size production folders! That would make me very happy! :D

I just got a Duncan "Monster" and every time I flip it open I giggle my ass of.To understand just how big it is you have to hold it in your hand .It dwarfs a Strider AR and that's a big knife.But for such a big knive it's as smooth as butter.If you have a chance to check one out please do you to will "giggle'' your ass off ,Big knives rule!!!!!:D PS Thanks Chef is all that and a bag of chip's :)

The Maxx 5.5 is a much better knife than the X2. The X2 isn't bad, but the blade is too thin for that size and can bend or break, which mine did. Also, the lock on the X2 can be released during chopping.

The Camillus has better steel, smoother action and better construction, including a strong frame lock.

Where I like the X2 better is in the handle: The Maxx 5.5 has a thin, flat handle. The X2 is wider, more rounded and more comfortable. The X2 handle is much longer than the Maxx 5.5, giving you more leverage for chopping.

The Maxx is easier to carry concealed.

Camillus will have the 7.0" Massive Maxx on the market within a month. The first run will be 250 knives only! Better get one! They will be a spear point style blade on this one. My Son Ryan Bailey will be upgrading the Camillus 7.0 knife with bronze washers and a tune up for those interested at standard street price. Please email me off line for information.

My Madd Maxx 5.5" started this wave of BIG A** folders. It is cool to see a trend starting in the industry.
I have 7 inch custom "GIBBS MAXX'S" that can be ordered.
I will be making 10 knives called the "Ultra Maxx" with a 12" inch blade length. They will be numbered. Email me for more info!

A Ralph folding sword, sounds awesome!

Where the heck to clip it though?

:D

Thanks for the replys, everyone. I've been looking up every mentioned knife and checking them out and they are all super-nice. The Cuda looks to my eyes to be about the best for me...though they do tend to get a bit pricey,(for my poor wallet, anyway). I really like the idea of a folding short sword! Ralph if you make a folding sword, I will put off my new rifle purchase to get one of those!

I have secured one of the limited runs of 10 on the "short sword" as of this morning.

Better hurry if you are interested, there are only a few not spoken for from my understanding at this time.

Brownie

Back