Larry Harley Machax

So, this knife was on thE bay for a little while and I was very intrigued so I kept going back to it. I am sure a lot of you saw it too and saw the price tag that came along with it. Well, I started a communication with the seller and found him on another site as well. Needless to say, he is a standup guy and we worked out a price that was fair to both. It was still a bit steep for my pockets but manageable. Payment was made (after the sale of a few gun parts and knives, including a Camillus BK1, and after a few apologies/explanations/expletives to the wife about the significance of this piece) and then a few quick days later it arrived.

This was listed as a Machax prototype as the owner who sold it to me was the 2nd owner and that is what he was informed. The owner I purchased it from said he has had it since 2006. I have seen only one other “Harley Machax” (or what appears to be one from the blurry picture) on “Becker BK4 Machax Prototypes Revealed -http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2015/09/becker-bk4-machax-prototypes-revealed/from 2015 ”. On that site there is a picture of various prototypes, one shows a Machax with what appears to be the same shape as the Harley signature for Lonesome Pine Knives, Bristol Tenn., with the Pine tree, but that one must have been an earlier version than this one because the handle is larger and different. This knife does not appear to be as old as the Walnut handled old school Machaxes that Ethan and Bladite have. It seems to be a later version as you can see the similarities between it and the Cincinnati Machax (as shown in the pics below). It is almost identical in shape. Where it differs, is the fact that it is FFG and is thinner and lighter than the Cincinnati. I have not taken the exact measurements yet but I will.

As you can see from the pics, it is a brownish color overall. The color brown shows up significantly brighter in the pics than it does in person. In person, the color is more subtle, although very noticeably different from the Cincin. It feels so quick in the hand but also feels like it will be able to hold its own against other Machaxes including the Cincinnati. Whether this is an actual prototype or not, it is an amazing blade. The fact that it even exists is just awesome. I know from reading previous threads and seeing pics, that Ethan was really good, friends with Mr. Larry Harley who as everyone knows, was quite the renowned knife maker himself. As we all know, the Machax is an amazing tool- that was made/designed by my favorite maker, Ethan. This Machax was made by my favorite maker’s good buddy, who was also an amazing maker himself, Larry Harley, who unfortunately is no longer with us. So whether it is a prototype or just a custom version made by Harley, it is a special piece that is going to be with me for a long time. Please, Bladite, Guyon, any other mods, Beckerheads, or if possible and especially, Ethan, please chime in if you have any more information of the history of this Machax. Any information is greatly appreciated. I need to get to a gathering sometime and bring this bad boy.
kHS3w3K.jpg
X0Hor8M.jpg
h1xBIPi.jpg
Z532A8G.jpg
V0289YU.jpg
HZbnpfB.jpg
GO6Kx2n.jpg
VVAFmJu.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting pics of history there tman. Hopefully someone can chime up on its history. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting...

I asked Ethan about that machax whenever I saw it listed on the bay.

Ethan said he was at a gun show way back when selling his knives and thats when he meet Larry. Larry like the machax a lot. He said he literally pulled out a pen and paper and traced out the shape right in front of him. At first he was like what the hell? Larry said don't worry I'll only make a few and it will only make it more popular for you. Ethan said he reluctantly agreed.

Later Ethan said he and a bunch of other knife makers tried to help him out when he was down on his luck. He mailed him a whole crate of Cincinnati machax blanks to finish.

The one you have looks like it was made from a Cincinnati blank that was reground flat and thinned out. Ethan has three different ones from Larry and none of them are the exact same size as a Cincinnati like yours is. I'll post some photos when I find them.

The one you have looks like it was made from a Cincinnati blank that was reground flat and thinned out. Ethan has three different ones from Larry and none of them are the exact same size as a Cincinnati like yours is. I'll post some photos when I find them.
Awesome info! Ty KJ :)

Here are some better photos of that one in the machax article.

This is one of the ones Larry made from scratch. Not a prototype, Ethan just has it stored on the same shelf in the shop haha

This one is really different compared to a cincin. Much more "wobbly" and shorter. Its also full .25"

IMG_6104.jpg IMG_6106.jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.05.05 PM.png

The top one in this photo was a cincin Ethan told me was re-finished by Larry. New handle and it appears he rounded out the area below the plunge line like on yours and his others.

The bottom I believe Ethan told me was another one of Larry's one-offs. I really loved the smaller one, its been a dream of mine for a long time now to get a custom maker to make me a mini bk4. However this blade has officially changed my mind. Its a super cool blade but its pointless IMO. Its like the bk7, too small to chop, and too big to be a belt knife. Only good for combat, and zombies I guess haha.

I think all of Larry's customs had that sharpening choil. Could be wrong.

110 - 8FXW7nH.jpg

interesting. despite my history, i'm sure Ethan never mentioned this to me... nor did i see these abominations on his shelves ;) nor eBay.

just wait, i have 50+ blanks waiting for evil. or a viking burial ;)

but seriously, the nerve to copy someone's work. honestly don't know who this Harley guy is...

i call dramatic internet facefalm on them. ptui. be gone! :D

anyone that gets one, please just send it to Ethan for burial. it's better that way.

I would have to say accident. I honestly don't even know what you mean. I don't see an ad for photobucket. I used imgur after knoefz was nice enough to show me how to do it. It's been a while since I have been here let alone posted pics.

I would have to say accident. I honestly don't even know what you mean. I don't see an ad for photobucket. I used imgur after knoefz was nice enough to show me how to do it. It's been a while since I have been here let alone posted pics.

BH259_zps9icogsf3.png

part of signature? we can't see it

Back