Laser for pointing out dead limbs on tall trees?

Hello all, I thought I'd ask for suggestions on this. Specifically, every year or so I have to talk to an arborist to cut down tree limbs at a few properties. Often these limbs are 20+ feet off of the ground, and 30-40 feet from where I am standing. I tried this with an inexpensive, drugstore laser, but the dot was so small that you would lose sight of it when moving from one limb to another (hard to explain unless you try doing it on a large tree with limbs spread apart, high in the air).

I was wondering where to find a not-too-expensive, slightly wider beamed laser that wasn't too powerful (it is pointing out dead, dried out wood). I guess an alternative would be to make some type of crude aiming device to mount the inexpensive laser on. This isn't a high priority for me, but it would save me about 30 minutes of trying to describe which limbs and at what point are to be cut down for each property.

I would also like it to double as a pointing aid for other outdoor things, such as pointing out areas on the roof, gutters, etc. I don't know if green is a good idea, as there are so many different shades of green on the leaves when standing under a big tree with light coming through on some that it might be harder to discern. Please tell me if anyone knows otherwise.

Can't answer your specific product question but here is this - When I use a laser outdoors I need to wear some tinted glasses. The light beam shows so much better. Don't know if there is such a specialty as Laser Viewing Glasses - my red ones came with my laser. AND - they work.

Interesting idea...but better yet, why not "Tool Time Tim" it (i.e. MORE POWER!) and go for a laser that would cut the limbs?:)

Most of the pocketable laser pointers are 5mW. If you can find one that is 100mW, it will work outside on a sunny day. Green seems to be easier to see than red when outside. So you’re looking for a 2-AAA 100mW 532nm fixed focus green laser. Use it carefully and lock it up when not in use.

Hello all, I thought I'd ask for suggestions on this. Specifically, every year or so I have to talk to an arborist to cut down tree limbs at a few properties. Often these limbs are 20+ feet off of the ground, and 30-40 feet from where I am standing. I tried this with an inexpensive, drugstore laser, but the dot was so small that you would lose sight of it when moving from one limb to another (hard to explain unless you try doing it on a large tree with limbs spread apart, high in the air).

I was wondering where to find a not-too-expensive, slightly wider beamed laser that wasn't too powerful (it is pointing out dead, dried out wood). I guess an alternative would be to make some type of crude aiming device to mount the inexpensive laser on. This isn't a high priority for me, but it would save me about 30 minutes of trying to describe which limbs and at what point are to be cut down for each property.

I would also like it to double as a pointing aid for other outdoor things, such as pointing out areas on the roof, gutters, etc. I don't know if green is a good idea, as there are so many different shades of green on the leaves when standing under a big tree with light coming through on some that it might be harder to discern. Please tell me if anyone knows otherwise.

Wicked lasers Artic check out videos. Extremely powerful and would need to be handled with extra safety in mind

I don't know if it'd work for your need , but I have a green laser site on my 10/22 rifle that works fine in daylight . More visible than the red ones , by far .

Only cost $20 to 30 (from Amazon) . But I did also buy a couple of better lithium rechargeable batteries for it .

Could be used without the mounting hardware , like a pointer .

Paintball gun?
I was going to say this ^ but I have seen traditionally a way to mark trees was to use a paintball gun -- IIRC this was the original intent of the paintball.

Maybe it will be harder to hit exactly the limb that you want to have removed, but I bet it will be more fun.

Interesting idea...but better yet, why not "Tool Time Tim" it (i.e. MORE POWER!) and go for a laser that would cut the limbs?:)
That's what I'm talking about! No more wobbly ladders in the yard and perfect for removing widow makers at camp:D

Back