Latch on the wrong side?

Hello all, I'm new to balisongs, just got my first one to see if I would like them. It's a Jaguar with black inlay in the handles and a weehawk blade. I'm enjoying flipping this thing but it seems to me that the latch is on the wrong side. In my mind, the latch should be on the side of the knife that has the unsharpened area. This way, the latch can be dropped with the pinkie finger on the flippin hand and the proper handle will already be in your palm. Unless I'm not doing something right, which is very PROBABLE since I'm learning this on my own. That just seems more natural and much faster to me anyway. Of course, when I do that and flip it over my hand, the other handle hits my finger first, which is good, then when I spin and re-flip... OUCH!! the sharpened side of the blade is chewing into my index finger!

What am I doing wrong? Is the latch on the wrong side?

Greg

You're not doing anything wrong. You're just a fan of the "Manila" latch style (latch on the safe handle), rather than the "Batangas" latch style (latch on the bite handle). The beauty of the bali is that both are "right", and none are "wrong". Unfortunately, due to the strength of influence of the Benchmade bali's, most of the bali's sold in this country is of the "Batangas" style.

If you feel that the Manila style is your preferred method of using the bali, then the Jaguar is not for you. Almost all of the current crop of $100+ bali's can be changed with the latch configured in the Manila style. Some simply require that you swap the handles around. A process hard to do with the Jaguar (although if conditions hold true, it'll be something you'll be doing in a short while).

Welcome. Personally, I prefer Batangas, but that's strictly my preference.

Hi Greg...Welcome to the family :)

Take a look at some of this stuff rather than a diatribe about what's going wrong. Frankly I wasn't 100% sure of what you were describing as the problem.., but these sites will help:

http://www.BalisongXtreme.com

http://www.BalisongCollector.com

I think if you go through these sites meticulously.., you will find some answers to your queries..., have fun!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Balisongs are properly made in either Manila (latch attached to the "safe" handle), OR Batangas (latch attached to bite handle) configuration.

I like Batangas configuration because I can manipulate safely without having the latch get in my way. It is a matter of personal preference, but it seems the majority prefer Batangas.

BTW: "bite handle" refers to the handle attached to the side of the knife with the sharpened side of the blade.

Enjoy your bali :cool:

Edited 2-18-02 because I'm easily confused. Thanx Tony!

its personal preference

Ghen, I'd venture to say that most prefer batangas, being that most balis sold here are made that way. Maybe thats what you meant to say?

Anyway, whatever the majority likes, I prefer batangas because the latch gets in my way when I hold the handle with the latch on it.

Wow! thanks for the quick responses! It seems that the Manilla design would work best for me given the way I'm currently manipulating the knife. I like to start out with the safe handle in my palm. Seems only natural then to drop the latch with my pinkie, as well as close it. OK, before I buy a different(Manilla style) bali, what's the simplest method for learning the Batangas?

Oh, and thanks for the Welcome, been lurking a while, currently waiting on my Gold membership to be approved!

Greg

I'm a Batangas man myself but I did change my Jag around the last time I repinned (before I sold it to my brother which he then made me repin it the other way) and it was certainly different. It doesn't seem to me to be as fast. I know that latch isn't really that heavy or long but it seems to add that extra little bit to speed up rotations. Of course using a manila is concievable quieter, but I don't need to sneak around with my bali. IF I want to be quiet I'll do the "quick and quiet" or a latch drop so fast that people won't believe they heard anything. But go with what you feel is best, and more importantly go to Clay's page that ExamonLyf gave you. Then you won't be firguring this out all alone, you'll have a guide and us for any additional help you need.

editted for this: the quickest way to learn the bali (either way is to go to Clay's Page and click on beginners.

I think if you've learned manila then batangas will be cake. As long as you remember what handle is the safe handle it should be about the same, except you don't need to worry about holding the latch handle in your hand.

If you're interested in a Manila-style balisong, I recommend getting a Taylor/Seto "Manila Folder," one of my all-time favorite balisongs :D. Come to think of it, many (but not all) of Taylor's knives are in the Manila-style configuration so you should try to find one of those. I first learned with a Manila-style balisong but have been playing with Batangas-style ones more often. I don't find a huge advantage with either so it's more of a matter of personal taste. I've been using a SWAT Tiger recently and I've swapped the handles around several times, getting used to both ways. Then I just removed the latch all together. It really doesn't matter, I think. If one way is more comfortable for you, so be it :).

Just remembered where I posted the manila switcharoos with two of the bali's currently available:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178601

The top one is the SWAT biohazard mention. The bottom applies to pretty much the whole BM Ti line. Disassembly and reassembly was fairly straight forward. Though one warning; doing this WILL void your warranties with either company. So, if warranty's an issue, then the Tachyon may be the one you want to look at. It's one of the few out there that lets you do change the latch around all you want and not worry about the warranty.

Just wanted to welcome you, since everybody else seems to have covered what ever I would like to say. :p

Been checking out those links you guys gave me. GREAT stuff!

I think I'm going to be a Manila kind of guy! I'll keep flippin this Batangas till I get a Manila but this latch is really in the way for me.

Uh, OH, I think I'm hooked already........................

Back