Latest knife pics

Here is a couple of pics of my latest creation, accomplished with Bruce Evans able instruction and advice. Would appreciate you fellas comments.
View

The blade is cable, handle is legbone of a deer, brass guard with black/white/red/white/black spacers.

[This message has been edited by slopoke69 (edited 04-30-2001).]

Sweet knife. (edited)me and L6 had the same idea.

[This message has been edited by samhell (edited 04-29-2001).]

L6 and Sam we all three must have been fixing my goof simultaneously. I do appreciate the backup and help.

------------------
Who is John Galt?

That is a super nice knife! I have a question though, How did you prep that deer bone to turn it into a handle? I usually have a pretty good supply of deer bones every year, but I just let the dogs have em' up till now. Also how does it hold up as a handle material? What sort of finish did you use on it? Awesome knife.

Chuck

Nicely proportion, spacers are a great touch -- overall a very nice piece!
smile.gif

I, too, am interested in the prep and durability for the deer bone.

------------------
Tom
Click here for Grohmann knives.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Please feel free to offer suggestions for improvement too. I have to give a big part of the credit to Bruce. He answers all my Q's, demos technique, fixes my goofs before I ruin something. He is really teaching me well. As for the bone, well Bruce can give better info, but just boil all the organic waste from it and let it dry, say six months minimum? As far as durability, My opinion is it won't take rough abuse but will stand up to regular use just fine. Thanks again.
Just got off the phone with Bruce and he agreed with the boiling and drying but said he has used a lot of bone and never had a handle come back with problems. Also, he said that it is just as durable as any other bone. I forgot to mention earlier that the black color is splotched on leather dye. For a finish, I simply hand rubbed the bone to a 600 grit finish and buffed with white compound and a clean wheel - carefully avoiding any brass or steel to avoid getting any black gunk in the pores of the bone. An additional step would be to do the super glue trick to seal the bone. Hope this helps.
------------------
Who is John Galt?

[This message has been edited by slopoke69 (edited 04-30-2001).]

To add to what Was already said about the leg bone,I skin them out when skinning the deer then cut it into hadle size pieces before boiling.The only reason I do this is to aid in the marrow slipping out when the bone is boiled after the marrow slips add some bleach to the water and let it boil for awhile longer then set the whole pot off the heat and let set till it is cooled to room temperature (if you take the bone out when it is hot it will crack real easy) then you can wash it off with warm water and then let dry.Sealing with super glue works great,but buffing and then sealing with wax also works fine since you will be oiling it with the rest of the knife it will take on a nice aged patina.I have seen it soaked in oil for a few days and it takes on a translucent look which also seals the bone.It can also be stabilized.Fiebings leather dye can be splashed on in spots to get the colored effect...
I tell the local people that this is a good way to trophy a kids first deer if it is a doe or real small racked deer,This way they can take the luck of that first deer to the woods with them every time they go hunting,and when they out grow the size of the knife it can be displayed with a picture of that first deer.Also if someone gets a monsrter buck and mounts it they can still do the same thing and have the luck with them.
I almost forgot,You can still use the bones after the dogs have chewed on them,It will just add a little character to the bones,but boil them outside or just put them up on the shelf for a year or so till they cure naturaly.
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

[This message has been edited by beknives (edited 04-30-2001).]

Wow. Thanks for all the bone info fellers! I really appreciate it. Will be trying this out a lot this fall
smile.gif

Chuck

da nada Chuck. Bone is in my opinion, a beautiful and versital(sp) material. Have fun and be creative and thanks for the interest in my knife. You folks keep me excited and productive.

------------------
Who is John Galt?

Back