Latest on Mountain Lion killed story

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by WILLIAM.M, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Currawong

Currawong Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 19, 2012
    It was already attacking humans as a 'kitten.' Imagine how dangerous it would have been as a full-grown adult.

Coyja and WILLIAM.M like this.
  2. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    I fully understand your desire to go armed (heavily, that is!) wherever those creatures are living. Not that he was hunting, cooking or messing with anything that might have atracted the animal's attention... he was just passing by!

I am soooooo glad we don't have those cats arround here. A few wolves here and there but that's it. Foxes are not big deal, they usually stay away or are so tamed that just get by to see if you give them some free lunch.

WILLIAM.M likes this.
  3. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder

Aug 12, 2005
    Did anyone else get the impression that some in the press are tying to make the guy who was attacked look like the bad guy?

4. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    The liberal press often does just that

Krav likes this.
  5. Wicked Sharp

Wicked Sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2007
    In the animal kingdom, predators choose what and when to attack. Humans are no different. Most choose the weak or small to help ensure success. Looking at this guy’s pictures after the attack..., I don’t give a damn what the liberal press says. This guy was surviving. DILLY DILLY!!!

WILLIAM.M likes this.
  6. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    The only thing that bothered me about this story is that, before all the details started coming out, some MMA/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu pundits were bragging that the guy had proven that Jiu-Jitsu had shown itself to be a viable method of defending oneself from/dispatching a mountain lion while on the trail. That was when the only detail given in the news was that he had 'choked it to death', and they jumped on the word 'choked', believing (or wanting to believe) that it meant using a rear naked choke or the like. In reality, I highly doubt the guy has any Jiu-Jitsu/MMA training at all; more likely simply a very strong survival instinct.

It pays to wait until all the details of a story come out before attempting to use an incident for confirmation bias. The Jiu-Jitsu/MMA pundits seemed to go quiet on the subject once the details came out.

Jim

7. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    Agreed Jim

8. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Overall, still a dangerous animal, and further proof that for the cats, if you survive the first ambush, attacking back puts you as more likely to survive than not. In the same position, I'd be ensuring I'd ended the threat if possible, as I'd be concerned that if I simply escaped, the cat would try again.

Hurrul and WILLIAM.M like this.
  9. Currawong

Currawong Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 19, 2012
    Yep, I once learned Jiu Jitsu in order to protect myself against wildlife. The trouble is, in Australia the wildlife are all better at it than me :eek:

Hurrul, Pomsbz and WILLIAM.M like this.
  10. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    Imagine the press reaction had he stabbed it with a Perrin bowie or street beat. Or shot it.

WILLIAM.M likes this.