lathing hatchet- who knew!

Holy crap, I had no idea the level of craftsmanship on these little hatchets!

Some background- I picked up this hatchet (ebay) because of the stamp. Tom Lamond's research led me to believe that these were made in New Hampshire, but new (to me) evidence suggests that they were made in Boston.

oH4MHGi.jpg

So I had every intention to sell the hatchet before I ever got it. Then I got it!

First, the level of detail on every part of the hatchet is amazing. The way the blade thins out, the corners on the poll, and the waffle hammer is in amazing condition! (pics are pretty bad, sorry about that)

Then there is the handle! There are a series of tiny metal wedges fit the eye of the handle. This all has to be original, right? Moving down, the wood had an odd feel. Then there is a wrap that is...I have no idea. And at the end of the handle is a plastic cap with three screws. I don't have a sense of what they are screwed into, but every little characteristic of this hatchet is fascinating!

So everyone, please tell me the story behind all of these characteristics and features (especially the handle)! I'm happy to upload better pictures if interested, I just couldn't wait for the sun to rise before posting.

2mKLp7c.jpg

dvPA1sP.jpg

KN3GzE2.jpg

8SlGcZI.jpg

2tHroPg.jpg

I don’t know anything about your hatchet, but it’s interesting that true temper called theirs genuine underhill
Thanks! True temper, through a long line of selling the 'Underhill' name starting in 1890, acquired the name. That being said, Underhill in the True Temper age refers to a style of hatchet, not the Underhill brand. I think. That is how I've always interpreted it. Please, anyone know more?

I'm still fascinated by this handle. I'll try to get some more pictures in the sun.

I agree with the workmanship on small hatchets. Some of them are very intricate in the bevels & knife makers will tell you it is harder to make a straight skinny blade than thicker. The wrap looks like what I see on vintage fishing rods and pool cues. A nylon twist wrap with shellac or varnish over. Someone was fond of this tool.

Bill

It doesn't seem like a standardized production example with this twine wrap grip and such a cover at the end of the handle, both I guess are related the cap anchoring the wrap. On top of this, though with my reservations, I'd guess the wood is not typical it could even be walnut by the look of the grain pattern up near the tung but such guessing is notorious when it comes to wood identification. All in all till now it adds up to one of two things to my mind either a limited edition of some sort or a self improvement done by someone with a lot of competence. I see no reason to think the attachments are not made into [anything other than] a straightforward solid wood handle. Comparing the axe as it is with the promotion it appears it is a well worn and much used hatchet. The asymmetry of the overall form a bit contradictory with what I make out as a right hand single bevel but it would be consistent with a tool which has been customized by an experienced user. Over all I would say the the axe speaks more of the user than itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'd agree that the handle is it's own piece of work. I wish I knew more!

I found a pretty cool old lathing hatchet on eBay and it is becoming my favorite tool. Yours is definitely nicer and that handle is very cool. I never noticed lathing hatchets until I got mine, what a superb tool!! Thin and choppy with a very capable hammer too!

Thanks! True temper, through a long line of selling the 'Underhill' name starting in 1890, acquired the name. That being said, Underhill in the True Temper age refers to a style of hatchet, not the Underhill brand. I think. That is how I've always interpreted it. Please, anyone know more?

I'm still fascinated by this handle. I'll try to get some more pictures in the sun.

I think you nailed it correctly.
Underhill was the lath hatchet, then true temper purchased and it became the style.
Great Underhill stamp with the star!

Excellent score
Underhill

Last edited:
What a wonderful hatchet!
True Temper addresses their Underhill type hatchet on the bottom of page 154 of the 1938 catalog.
True Temper Tools : General Catalog No. 1-R (archive.org)

I think the wrap will predate the use of nylon, perhaps linen or even silk?
Great reference regarding the distinction between the Underhill axe and the pattern (although I'm still a bit confused given TT isn't UETC...marketing semantics I guess).

And the handle! It's hard to get good pictures of it, but it is an absolute work of art. That being said, I'm still going to have to let it go.

Say Glenn, coming to this a little late with a few probly irrelevant comments, but if you haven't let it go yet I could be interested.

The only thing I know about Underhill Edged Tool Co. is, I read somewhere that they made the axe used by Lizzie Borden to murder her family. If this is true, I believe it should not be held against them, since they wisely didn't seek her endorsement for any subsequent advertising.

I agree with Ernest that the handle of your specimen was likely customized by the owner, and used a lot afterward. This seems consistent with the custom hammer and tool handles I've seen in a couple respects. First, those modifications look like they'd be fairly labor intensive, and second, they appear to use materials that, while not particularly rare back in the day, were not seen elsewhere in the industry. In the absence of any sales literature showing those features or other commercial examples, I conclude with 95% confidence that that handle was a one-off. And a pretty good job of it, too.

Re: the V grind/chisel grind issue - being born about 40 years too late, I've never installed lath for plaster, although I've torn out a lot and replaced it with drywall. My understanding is that sawed lath strips, at least here in the PNW, were delivered to the job in mostly 4' lengths which allowed them to span either 16" or 24" stud and joist spacing. I've seen a few longer, but for shorter walls, the lather would chop the strips to length on the spot. A lather who preferred a chisel grind would set the bevel on the outboard side of his dominant hand. I know this because I went through a phase of grinding single bevels on drywall hatchets for roughly analogous use, and let me tell you, inboard bevels suck heartily. I later concluded that a V grind was preferable for a worker who aspired to using his/her hatchet more ambidextrously. It also appears that the left edge of the stamp is much closer to the bevel than the ad drawing indicates, leading me to think that a lot of the edge has been sharpened away, perhaps an inch or more.

Somewhat ironically, following WWII the Underhill pattern with it's rectangular blade and flat face really caught on with the roofing trade, who added a nail notch and holes for a gauge or scoring blade. Drywaller hangers, arguably the purer descendants of the lath and plaster trade, came to prefer something with a round domed face clipped at the top and a pinched cross section between the blade and haft. Usually lighter as well, by 2-6 oz. Many of these specimens have nice fit and finish also. I've seen True Temper ones on the job, don't know if they still make them, but most major hammer mfgrs offer at least one model and of course many imported knock-offs. For years I have used a pair of Estwing E3-11s, nice balance and they sure ride easy in a hammer loop. My current favorite is a Vaughan WB model, not really vintage but thankfully prior to the "blue paint" era, which I have slightly modified. Lots of Goldblatt, Marshalltown and Wal-board trade names out there too, probly made on contract and branded for them. FWIW, Vaughan still makes the Underhill pattern, calling it a "lathing and drywall hatchet", although I bet nobody has used one for lathing in 50 years.

If a seller claims a drywall hatchet is more than 75 years old, it's BS. OTOH, if anybody has a pre-war Underhill I could mod into a drywall hatchet, I'm all ears.
Parker

Say Glenn, coming to this a little late with a few probly irrelevant comments, but if you haven't let it go yet I could be interested.

The only thing I know about Underhill Edged Tool Co. is, I read somewhere that they made the axe used by Lizzie Borden to murder her family. If this is true, I believe it should not be held against them, since they wisely didn't seek her endorsement for any subsequent advertising.

I agree with Ernest that the handle of your specimen was likely customized by the owner, and used a lot afterward. This seems consistent with the custom hammer and tool handles I've seen in a couple respects. First, those modifications look like they'd be fairly labor intensive, and second, they appear to use materials that, while not particularly rare back in the day, were not seen elsewhere in the industry. In the absence of any sales literature showing those features or other commercial examples, I conclude with 95% confidence that that handle was a one-off. And a pretty good job of it, too.

Re: the V grind/chisel grind issue - being born about 40 years too late, I've never installed lath for plaster, although I've torn out a lot and replaced it with drywall. My understanding is that sawed lath strips, at least here in the PNW, were delivered to the job in mostly 4' lengths which allowed them to span either 16" or 24" stud and joist spacing. I've seen a few longer, but for shorter walls, the lather would chop the strips to length on the spot. A lather who preferred a chisel grind would set the bevel on the outboard side of his dominant hand. I know this because I went through a phase of grinding single bevels on drywall hatchets for roughly analogous use, and let me tell you, inboard bevels suck heartily. I later concluded that a V grind was preferable for a worker who aspired to using his/her hatchet more ambidextrously. It also appears that the left edge of the stamp is much closer to the bevel than the ad drawing indicates, leading me to think that a lot of the edge has been sharpened away, perhaps an inch or more.

Somewhat ironically, following WWII the Underhill pattern with it's rectangular blade and flat face really caught on with the roofing trade, who added a nail notch and holes for a gauge or scoring blade. Drywaller hangers, arguably the purer descendants of the lath and plaster trade, came to prefer something with a round domed face clipped at the top and a pinched cross section between the blade and haft. Usually lighter as well, by 2-6 oz. Many of these specimens have nice fit and finish also. I've seen True Temper ones on the job, don't know if they still make them, but most major hammer mfgrs offer at least one model and of course many imported knock-offs. For years I have used a pair of Estwing E3-11s, nice balance and they sure ride easy in a hammer loop. My current favorite is a Vaughan WB model, not really vintage but thankfully prior to the "blue paint" era, which I have slightly modified. Lots of Goldblatt, Marshalltown and Wal-board trade names out there too, probly made on contract and branded for them. FWIW, Vaughan still makes the Underhill pattern, calling it a "lathing and drywall hatchet", although I bet nobody has used one for lathing in 50 years.

If a seller claims a drywall hatchet is more than 75 years old, it's BS. OTOH, if anybody has a pre-war Underhill I could mod into a drywall hatchet, I'm all ears.
Parker
Super-interesting, thanks!

Glenn Bailey is a great guy...

when I expressed interest in the lath hatchet, and not knowing me from a bowl of cold soup, he packaged it right up and sent it to me. In spite of USPS’s best efforts to lose it en route, it arrived today and I’m clicking my heels in the air with joy. Great transaction, can’t wait to buy whatever else he’s got. Thanks again, Glenn.

Parker

when I expressed interest in the lath hatchet, and not knowing me from a bowl of cold soup, he packaged it right up and sent it to me. In spite of USPS’s best efforts to lose it en route, it arrived today and I’m clicking my heels in the air with joy. Great transaction, can’t wait to buy whatever else he’s got. Thanks again, Glenn.

Parker
Thanks Parker!

Very cool.
Theres a lot of great people on this forum.

This is definitely a very cool lathing hatchet, if only we could meet the man who originally owned it.
I'll bet they were a master at their craft.
They used it quite a bit but obviously knew how to keep a proper edge on it, and it does not look like something that was just prematurely worn by a grinder.
Lots of life left in it for sure.

Parker

Excellent

Making friends, sharing information, debating ageless questions and finding forever homes for tools that need a roof.
Thats what its all about.
Thats why I love this forum and this community :cool:

I notice all the lath I'm removing today is cut to length with a very fine bladed single beveled lathing hatchet
image~10.jpeg

Back