Lawrence of Arabia's pocket knife.

So in always having had a Swiss Army Knife in my pocket (where the accessories get as much use as the blades) for 50 years puts me in a league with Lawrence of Arabia. Nice! But what is more amazing is that the Brits had a multi-use pocket tool out there already 100 years ago. That frankly generates a bona fide 60's 'far out, man! response from me.

Interesting. I wonder how much..."expected to fetch up to £300" is in USA $ ?

EDIT: Google says....£300 = 464.46 United States - Dollars I'm surprised, thought it would have been more.

Tom

Thanks for the article link here are the photos

6998B7CB-E396-40D8-87CC-5BCA804EA24B-9278-000005E1A950C9F8_zpsbd862e9d.jpg

56804B00-3CF8-45CE-81F4-A90DAF6348C7-9278-000005E1B00C9685_zps072976ac.jpg

1DBA7FDD-0C84-41E2-828F-DEE0088D03D5-9278-000005E1B6CB616B_zpsea986860.jpg

Pete

That frankly generates a bona fide 60's 'far out, man! response from me.

Same here! :cool:

In the pics Pete posted, notice the scissors in the first pic? They sure look like they weren't "attached", which the third pic confirms. They must have been stashed in the body of the knife somewhere. Far out & outta sight! ;)

/nice piece of history right there , thanks for sharing. I thought It would fetch more myself as well.

Cool post. I'd have thought the knife would warrant a lot more than £300 (as quoted in the news story) at auction. So, I did some more searching to see where it ended up. The original news article is a couple years old; there's a follow-up article (linked below) mentioning it was withdrawn from the auction. Apparently some question as to possible 'National Trust' ownership of the building where it was found; therefore the knife's 'owner' may not actually own it. May be a 'national treasure', so to speak.

http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.c...hdrawn-from-Charterhouse-UK-auction/9197.page

David

Last edited:
Thanks for the links fellers, very interesting. That knife has seen better days, but £300 for T E Lawrence's knife?! :eek:

When I was a kid, there was an old feller my dad knew, a great old guy who'd be right at home here. He'd been (ground crew) in the Royal Flying Corps, had loads of old guns and knives, made his own crossbows (my dad used to make him the tips for the quarrels), and rode a Brough Superior motorcycle, (the same as Lawrence died riding), with his wife, into his mid 80's. When the film Lawrence of Arabia opened in Sheffield, they borrowed the bike and had it up on a rotating plinth for a couple of weeks :)

scan0146.jpg

I not only sat on her once, but George let me start her up :)

I don't suppose we'll ever know when himself acquired that knife, but I'm glad to know he was a big-knife guy around the garage and garden.

Anybody know if that's a button-hook or a string package hook or something else on the knife?

Last edited:
300£ for a Victorian era knife believed to be the knife of a famous hero? Seems like quite a steal to me.

I agree with those that have posted about a possible quality reproductiin being a neat thing! :) Queen or GEC are the names that come to mind as being good candidates for such a task. But, they'd likely sell for more than they expected the original to have sold for, lol! ;-)

Alright, who's going to do the reproduction?

This is what I want to know! Seriously, aside from carrying something similar to what a WWI hero had, I think it looks pretty much ideal for me as a pocket knife!

Back