Laws on Knife carrying in MA

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by eturk49, Apr 12, 2017.

1. eturk49

eturk49

Apr 4, 2017
    I was wondering what the laws are about carrying a knife in Massachusetts. I know about the 2.5 in blade limit in Boston and a few other towns but I wanted to know about any other rules. Also, how old do you have to be to carry a knife concealed?

2. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I was in Boston and Gloucester recently with my Kershaw Shuffle. No problems.

3. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    The state law is under Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10, Paragraph (b).

Or just go here:
    https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

I'm going to post the relevant part of the law here with some carriage returns and bullet points because good lord it's hard to read in it's normal form. Did no one ever teach the state congress about run-on sentences?

TLDR: Singled edged, non-auto knives are legal to carry regardless of blade length or the age of the person possessing it (Age limits are actually very rare and only exist at the city level in most cases). City laws may impose a limit to blade length but not all cities do.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. jfn

jfn

Aug 24, 2009
    I carry up to a paramilitary 2 in Boston with no issues. Just don't go waving it around in front of police and you'll be fine.

5. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend wants to give me my holy Grail knife, Mnandi with Damascus steel and cocobolo. Blade length 2.75 inches.

I work in Lawrence and she lives in Lowell. We go into Boston frequently.

What do you folks think?

6. doublepiedavid

doublepiedavid

Jun 1, 2017
    What I'm wondering is if the sawback on my G81 is counted as sharp, an officer friend of my dad's told me it isn't, but he's tried using it before. Another who goes to my church said it is, but he also says people don't have any business carrying knives that long in public places.

7. CPP

CPP

Sep 8, 2014
    In Boston there is a 2.5-inch blade limit but you buy a Paramilitary at Downtown Crossing. Go figure!

8. OhShoot

OhShoot

Jan 23, 2011