Layoffs Today

Guy's, I am sorry to be so chicken, but I'm pretty sure these threads are being looked at. I've mentioned no names, but I'm in enough trouble without adding to it. My free speech (i.e. big mouth) and lack of judgment has got me in trouble before.

I sincerely thank all of you for your support, and hate to take this step. I hate it that even this outlet and sanctuary is closed to me. I am archiving the original text at home and maybe in a week or a month or a year I'll put it all back verbatim.

Thanks again my friends.

Norm?

Been there. It is not right. NOT RIGHT.

But, dammit, it happens.

Kind of defines the term, "impotent." No frustration quite like it.

You can understand the rage of insane acts at moments like this.

Walk it off, or email me.

Be well and safe.

I've seen this done before. Know-nothing managers get rid of the people that the are least comfortable with. The under-educated get rid of the educated. The young get rid of the old. The stupid get rid of the smart. Assholes get rid of people with integrity and compassion. Yes-men get rid of people with discretion. I feel for you.

I was working at one particularly lousy place and taking flack from people who were running the project into the ground. When they publicly abused my assistant, who was doing the task that was okayed 12 hours before, I had a sudden moment of clarity. I was going to publicly throw my security badge in someone's face and walk off the job. I found my manager and asked if he was going to reprimand the guy who abused my assistant. He wouldn't do it so I threw my badge in his face in the front lobby of the building. It took a few months, but I ended up with another job that was much better for my career. A month after I quit I went to a birthday party for one of the other engineers at the company. In the living room three guys were having a lively discussion of whether they should clean up the building with shotguns or whether .45's would be sufficient. I didn't have a job and I was the least pissed off guy there. Within 3 months all of those guys plus two other critical engineers left, including a guy that said he would never quit a job before the end of a project.

Maybe you should update your resume.

Good luck, Norm...one way or the other. All offices have politics, but to the extent you describe, that's pretty messed up. You're educated, ethical, and experienced. If you are turned from this job you'll be fine. Hang tough, friend.

Jake

:(

From what I've seen, a lot of the people who desparately want a leadership position should never be put in the position of power.

However, I am the rightful heir to the English throne. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain, my dad works as a contractor for a large chemical company i will refrain from naming, and has to deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis:mad: Perhaps the same thing that happened at my dad's office will at yours: the horrible manager got promoted and transferred so he couldnt continue screwing up projects where he was :grumpy::rolleyes::eek: I hope everything turns out ok for all involved.

Damn, Norm; what made you think the competant, intelligent, and compassionate made these decisions?

That lie may be crueler than the layoffs.

Anyone here every worked for a bureacracy is the least surprised by Norm's thread? No?

A dysfunctional workplace is exactly like a dysfunctional family; you're lucky to get to stick around and take it.

>>>>>>>

munk

As an engineer, layoffs are a way of life. Keep the sales force and dump the people who do the work and make no money. It sucks, and so it is. Hang in there man I'm sure she'll get hers someday. Thats what my mother used to tell me anyway.

Andy

Ooh, Norm, almost forgot: if something bad does happen, or you decide to leave out of disgust- write down every dirty trick they played on your staff and the company.

One of the best men I ever knew was railroaded out of a psychologist position and he wrote back. Funniest job interview you ever read after that. He didn't sugar coat it, and he was hired by better places.

And guess what? The same thing happened to my wife, 8 months pregnant and suddenly relieved of her job by a sociopathic lesbian (sorry PC folks, but the sexual orientation stuff mattered because this loon resented my mainstream wife) This lady was everything you just described, Norm. I did everything but write to the President of the US, and he was a democrat at the time.

If nothing else, letting the friggen state of Idaho know what I thought of the railroad job allowed my wife and I to move on.

And if you want the truth, that is why I do not wish to live in Idaho. I wish them well- I wish they'd build themselves a few more dams.

Come to think of it, the State of Idaho also railroaded the Best Man I ever Knew in This Life.

2 for 2 is not a co-incidence- it's a way of life.

Anyway, if you choose to leave, or are forced, make sure you petition the correct venues with the truth. To let them know.

What a nerve this thread hit; I just remembered my friend Andy, brother in law, walked off a job after managment kept screwing up. The very first company meeting of directors afterwards the first question by the Boss was, "I want to know how we lost Andy."

What a great thread.

munk

sorry to hear about your woes Norm. but i can almost guareentee that everyone knows what kind of character this person is.

BRING BACK DUELING!
(fair fight rules apply)

-D

My sympathies, Norm.

Wrong things happen, and there isn't any heaven or hell, just this idiocy we call life on Earth.

Strongly suggest you start looking. I know the $ there must be great, but you are paying a price in high blood pressure.

I switched jobs exactly 3 months ago, and am way the happier for it. The decision to leave makes itself, and in your case, sounds like it has. Go.

Only saying 'cause I care.

Mike
Ad Astra

Just find something else BEFORE you quit.

There's politics, but this sounds disturbing. No decent manager enjoys firing or laying someone off.

Jeff Clark said:
I've seen this done before. Know-nothing managers get rid of the people that the are least comfortable with. The under-educated get rid of the educated. The young get rid of the old. The stupid get rid of the smart. Assholes get rid of people with integrity and compassion. Yes-men get rid of people with discretion. I feel for you.

I was working at one particularly lousy place and taking flack from people who were running the project into the ground. When they publicly abused my assistant, who was doing the task that was okayed 12 hours before, I had a sudden moment of clarity. I was going to publicly throw my security badge in someone's face and walk off the job. I found my manager and asked if he was going to reprimand the guy who abused my assistant. He wouldn't do it so I threw my badge in his face in the front lobby of the building. It took a few months, but I ended up with another job that was much better for my career. A month after I quit I went to a birthday party for one of the other engineers at the company. In the living room three guys were having a lively discussion of whether they should clean up the building with shotguns or whether .45's would be sufficient. I didn't have a job and I was the least pissed off guy there. Within 3 months all of those guys plus two other critical engineers left, including a guy that said he would never quit a job before the end of a project.

Maybe you should update your resume.

Thanks Jeff and everyone else who wrote. See initial post.

Glad you made it through...well in a way I guess. I was in a simlar situation about six years ago and luckily got recruited away thanks to a recommendation from a friend.

Update:

Norm, I think all of your problems are solved. I'll let you in on half of this action I got today. Either that or go back to school and get a job as an engineer for this oil company where Engineer Steve Moore managed to put away 18 million dollars.

Dear Sir/Ceo,

I am an Accountant with STANDARD TRUST BANK PLC(STB) My name is Francis Okoye a Banker, I am the personal Account Manager to Engineer Steve Moore , a National of your country, who used to work with Summit Oil company in Nigeria.Here in after shall be refered to as my client On April 21, 2000, my client,was involved in a car accident along Sagamu express way All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost their lives.

Since then I have made several inquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended Relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful. After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his last name over the Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you. I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they are declared unserviceble by the STANDARD TRUST BANK PLC. Where the deceased had an
account Valued at about ($18 MillionUS Dollars) has Issued me a notice to provide the next of kin. Or have the account confiscated within the next ten official working days.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 2 years now, I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you answered the same name, so that the proceeds of this account valued at ($18Million US Dollars) can be paid to you and then you and me Can share the money.60% to me, 30% to you. The remaining 10% will be used for all expensice that we may incure.An attorney will be contracted to help us revalidate and notarize all the necessary legal documents that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction through.

YOUR FULL NAME..................................

MAILING ADDRESS.......................

STATE/COUNTRY.........................

TEL/FAX NUMBERS.......................

COMPANY NAME.........................

OCCUPATION..........................

I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. Contact me through my Alternative e-mail address: ( francis_okoye1987@yahoo.fr )

Best Regards,

Francis Okoye.

aproy1101 said:
As an engineer, layoffs are a way of life. Keep the sales force and dump the people who do the work and make no money. It sucks, and so it is. Hang in there man I'm sure she'll get hers someday. Thats what my mother used to tell me anyway.

Andy

Hey Hey Hey, now. Bite your tongue! Engineers are certainly valuable resources in a manufacturing environment, but as the old saying goes, "nothing happens until somebody sells something". A warehouse full of good stuff is useless if there;s nobody to sell it.

On a more serious note, Sorry to hear about your job issues. That sucks.

Sounds like it's time to find another gig.

SASSAS said:
Update:

Norm, I think all of your problems are solved. I'll let you in on half of this action I got today. Either that or go back to school and get a job as an engineer for this oil company where Engineer Steve Moore managed to put away 18 million dollars.

Dear Sir/Ceo,

I am an Accountant with STANDARD TRUST BANK PLC(STB) My name is Francis Okoye a Banker, I am the personal Account Manager to Engineer Steve Moore , a National of your country, who used to work with Summit Oil company in Nigeria.Here in after shall be refered to as my client On April 21, 2000, my client,was involved in a car accident along Sagamu express way All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost their lives.

Since then I have made several inquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended Relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful. After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his last name over the Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you. I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they are declared unserviceble by the STANDARD TRUST BANK PLC. Where the deceased had an
account Valued at about ($18 MillionUS Dollars) has Issued me a notice to provide the next of kin. Or have the account confiscated within the next ten official working days.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 2 years now, I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you answered the same name, so that the proceeds of this account valued at ($18Million US Dollars) can be paid to you and then you and me Can share the money.60% to me, 30% to you. The remaining 10% will be used for all expensice that we may incure.An attorney will be contracted to help us revalidate and notarize all the necessary legal documents that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction through.

YOUR FULL NAME..................................

MAILING ADDRESS.......................

STATE/COUNTRY.........................

TEL/FAX NUMBERS.......................

COMPANY NAME.........................

OCCUPATION..........................

I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. Contact me through my Alternative e-mail address: ( francis_okoye1987@yahoo.fr )

Best Regards,

Francis Okoye.

Thank Goodness for Francis Okoye! 60% of $18 mill should hold me for quite a spell. This is my lucky day after all...:D

Howard Wallace said:
Norm,

Wishing you skill in working out your karma.

Thanks Howard, (and Kismet!) I can use all the skill in that endeavor that I can muster, that is certain.

Back