1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Lb treatment/fuller ?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by bullpin, Feb 11, 2018.

1. bullpin

bullpin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2010
    This new Forsaken BM has got me thinking.
    Has anyone ever tried to do an LB treatment themselves?

Yes, I’m sure it may void some part of warranty. But I’m not worried about that.

Was just curious if anyone has tried it , or maybe just a fuller themselves. I would think the set up would be the hardest part. And making a jig with some pins to fit talon holes for securing knife while milling work.(I bet that’s what they are for in the first place!)
    Would love to see some pics if someone has done it before. Thanks.

2. F'lar

F'lar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    The set up as you say would be fairly simple but tooling hardened steel can be a pain in the @$$. Then again I'm not a machinist either.

MADDMAN likes this.
  3. shinyedges

shinyedges Every man's intelligence is a god Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    It could be done, we machine 46100 armor (amongst other materials) and it is roughly mid 50's hrc. The flame cut areas get even harder. All in all, for someone with access to cad/cam software and machines it wouldn't be that hard.

4. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I think F'lar nailed the primary concern aside from cost, but it should be feasible.

I've had a few blades that I was interested in lightening up, but haven't attempted it or contacted anyone about prices/level of pita yet.

Here's an old thread I found that is somewhat related:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-i-lighten-a-full-tang.1037757/

F'lar and bullpin like this.
  5. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    You could, without knowing it, be messing with the structural integrity of your knife. :eek::confused:o_O

I do not recommend this for our knives. :thumbsdown:

For other maker's knives?. . . . Great idea!. . . Do that! :eek:o_O:confused:;)

Let's Drink!:cool:

Jerry:D

6. bullpin

Dec 8, 2010
    :eek:Lol. I agree about it messing with structural integrity. I would definitely practice on some other makers first!! Thanks for your advice!!

7. Srtr

Srtr Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2016
    get some beer and a dremel.

you should be fine.

Phixt, LizaMari and luethge like this.
  8. Cheesehead_Slasher

Cheesehead_Slasher Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Yeah, because alcohol and a dremel always results in quality craftsmanship.

Leonardo63 likes this.
  9. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Wonder if structural integrity is compromised in the "Skeleton" series of knives as the Warden's?

10. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Yeah.......Hold my beer watch this...:eek::eek::eek::p

11. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    I'm pretty sure it results in something never to be photographed or seen in public again! LOLOLO!!!

Yonose likes this.
  12. bullpin

Dec 8, 2010
    Some of the nicest knives I own were made under the affluence of incohol.

stjones likes this.
  13. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Why mess with Perfection ? Lol now if the Custom Shop was open.... that' whole different story...
    But that' just my .02

14. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    All of that work is done prior to heat treating. Our knives go through a heating and cooling protocol that relieves any stresses that may have been introduced during the machining process. After that is complete, they THEN go through the full heat treating process. . . .

So, there is no doubt that nearly all steels CAN be machined AFTER they have been hardened, the question that needs to be answered is whether or not they should be.:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:o_Oo_O

With our knives, the answer is "No".

Let's Drink!:thumbsup:

Jerry:D

15. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    I don't drink light beer. I don't need a light Busse. :cool:

BeastClaw likes this.
  16. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I don't mind the heft at all on most of my Busse knives, but the TGSE has me jonesing to try a TGLB. I'll trade you straight up if you have one and found it doesn't suit your taste. :p

17. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Given the warranty, there is nothing to worry about.

18. LizaMari

LizaMari Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Of course beer and a dremel will not result in quality craftsmanship. You need whiskey for that.

RedbeAR15 and Cheesehead_Slasher like this.
  19. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Just make sure you get it nice and hot, that way it works faster better yakno wat I’m sayin!

20. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Nowhere did Bullpin state he was aiming for quality craftsmanship :confused: :D so he should be good. That might take care of Jerry's concerns also. o_O