LB7 Information

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to determine the ages of LB7 knives? I have several and was just curious. Also I have a pic of a LB7 I did some work on but don't know how to insert it into this post. Can any one explain the process to do this for me?

Thanks, Jim

Oh Debbie.....
Where have you been? You have spoiled us with your contributions, knowledge, and your general good humor.

Come out, come out, wherever you are...... :D

Bill

I´m interested too though I know about mine, I got it in December 1978 in New Orleans during my honeymoon, now you guys know why I like my LB7 so much, brings back good memories (now I´ll have to expect some smart comment from Bill).

My LB7 has serial number A13097 which probably means something.

Luis

Luis,
Sorry if I've offended you somewhere :( .
I think I'll sit this one out.

Bill

Bill,

No offense at all ever, I just thought that you would make some joke (I think you have a fine sense of humor and enjoy your comments) about buying knives during my honeymoon, like I should have had better things to do :D (to tell the truth I should visit New Orleans again sometime, didn´t really get to know the place).

Luis

Hi guys. I missed you too. The only obvious indicator of LB7's years of manufacture is the number of pins in the cover. The LB7 was first manufactured in 1978 with 4 pins in the winewood cover and 1 pin visible in the bolster. Approximately 1991, this was changed to 3 pins in the winewood cover and 1 pin visible in the bolster. In 1992, the 3 pins in the cover were still used, and the boster pin, although it was still there, was no longer visible.

Thank you Ms. Debbie. :)

At least we have some information to look for in the future.
Why would they leave the bolster pin visible, not sanding/buffing it down flush?

Bill

El Lobo said:
...Why would they leave the bolster pin visible, not sanding/buffing it down flush?
Bill
My guess is that the visible pins are steel so they contrast with the brass bolsters, It does seem to attract a magnet in mine, as does the pivot pin in the lock bar which is also white, the pins that hold the handle scales and those in the back bolsters look like brass.

Luis

Maybe that is the reason.....I've not seen one that way, I don't believe (with plainly visible pins in the bolster)....Could you post a picture?

With laws here in Arizona that allow us much freedom in how/what we carry, (Knives and Firearms), we are berift of much variation in traditional patterns for some reason. :(

Oh yeah.....they're hard to find as well. ;)

Thanks,
Bill

El Lobo said:
...Could you post a picture?...

Sure, there´s three in this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323137

There´s a joke in Mexico about people with big noses, the punchline is "su mamá nació en Arizona" ("his mother was born in Arizona") there is a play on words with "narizona" which means big nosed ("nariz" means "nose"), "su mamá nació narizona" translates to "his mother was born with a big nose" :D .

Luis

Edited to add my LB7 in Arizona, Background from http://www.webshots.com (Used with permission from CNET Networks, Inc. Copyright 2004. All rights reserved).

yktir

In the immortal words of Homer.......Simpson, that is......DOH!!!

I even posted in that thread and didn't notice the pins..... :eek:

I think my nose got in the way... and I wasn't even born in Arizona. :D

Bill

This is even better.....
I just went downstairs to my fake Urban Assualt Vehicle ( Blazer ) to get something and I grabbed the 6OT I keep in there, to touch up the edge.
Guess what? The contrasting pin is PLAINLY showing through the bolster... :eek: I've only had the knife for 6 or 7 years! :footinmou

Someone help...I'm going down in
F
L
A
M
E
S

It IS He!! to get old. Sigh.

Mr. jim4650 I did not mean to hijack your thread. I once had the best of intentions......well, GOOD intentions, anyway.

bILL

Although I don't really know the real reason for the changes, it is my guess that it was just easier at the time to punch the pins through, because as of the late 70's they really had not yet come up with an efficient way to do it any other way. One more way, even more obvious, that I should have mentioned to tell the range of years of manufacture of LB7 was the serial number. They were only serialized until 1989. The numeric serial numbers were the earliest versions. The numbers with one alpha digit followed, in order from A to Z, and then they started using double alphabetic characters, starting with AA through AZ. If I ever get my records sorted out here, I can more closely determine the range of years by serial number. The production records will tell me exactly how many were made from one year to the next which will help pinpoint the year of manufacture more closely.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input, I know more now than I did and I appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim

UH Fan said:
Hi guys. I missed you too. The only obvious indicator of LB7's years of manufacture is the number of pins in the cover. The LB7 was first manufactured in 1978 with 4 pins in the winewood cover and 1 pin visible in the bolster. Approximately 1991, this was changed to 3 pins in the winewood cover and 1 pin visible in the bolster. In 1992, the 3 pins in the cover were still used, and the boster pin, although it was still there, was no longer visible.
Thanks for all the great info, but you have left me very confused. My LB7, which I purchased, used, back in the mid '80's has only three pins in the wood handle section (two in brass, one in steel at the spring). Of course it has the standard steel hinge pin and two additional brass pins in the rear bolster. The blade has no serial number at all, but the unusual rectangular sheath is stamped "346". Unless the pawn shop I bought it in was located in a black hole, I'm certain that the knife was manufactured prior to 1991. :D

Can anyone help me date my LB-7?

lb7.jpg

Here are 2 lb7's from the catalogs. Note the early one has 4 pins and the later 3. The sheath that came with the earlier LB7s had a triangular bottom
The one pictured is the newer style.

If you could post a picture or send one to me to post we might have a better chance than guessing.

Um, I got one with 3 pins AND an alpha numeric serial number starting with a single 'c'. :confused:

Back