LC200N?

jstn

Gold Member
I get that everyone is always sitting in a pool of saltwater but for those of us not living at the bottom of a salt pit what is the deal with LC200N? It's tough? it rolls like dough and chips like a bag of ruffles..to me tough means it doesn't chip when I cut cardboard (no staples), and the blade doesn't roll every time I wipe the blade down with a tissue...I hear that people like it, I have a few SPY's with it, and it's really not much better than CmOV##'s. I haven't taken it to the bottom of the ocean yet, but it's being marketed as this great wonder steel, I get H1 is just the worst steel ever besides 440A but for EDC for most of the continental US, LC200N is really not a great choice for EDC in fact it's terrible for just about anything besides seriously wet and salty conditions, and then why would you really want a folder for a diving knife?
I suggest you sit down and relax with a nice single malt bourbon and maybe a cigar. You seem unnecessarily bitter. If you don’t like the steel you can just use others. There are plenty of options. I haven’t had your experience with Lc200n, and though I’m never at the booth of the ocean, I like it in summer because I sweat profusely and get rust in the pivots of my folders. Lc200n is nice since I never to have to do anything with it.

Thanks, Joe. You were nicer than I was going to be. H1 is certainly not a terrible steel and LC200N is pretty good, as we all know. Facts. Just facts.

I think this debate has been distracted from the real point:

Corrosion resistance has been optimized at the expense of other desirable traits.

We all know there's only so much that can be put into a steel to bring out desired traits.

The problem isn't that these steels are objectively "bad" or "good."

Their intended use window is not optimal strength, edge holding or toughness. The design of the steel put corrosion resistance first. That's fine, but in direct comparison to other steels optimized for things like edge holding or toughness.....the highly stainless steels will be less tough, less edge holding, etc.

Just a fact. Doesn't mean they are bad or good. It just means that if you don't benefit from the corrosion resistance, the primary benefit if the steel isn't benefitting the user.

Just like saying that rex-121 sucks becauseI can't beat on it like 3v.

Last edited:

Larrin

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Corrosion resistance has been optimized at the expense of other desirable traits.

We all know there's only so much that can be put into a steel to bring out desired traits.

Their intended use window is not optimal strength, edge holding or toughness. The design of the steel put corrosion resistance first. That's fine, but in direct comparison to other steels optimized for things like edge holding or toughness.....the highly stainless steels will be less tough, less edge holding, etc.

Just a fact. Doesn't mean they are bad or good. It just means that if you don't benefit from the corrosion resistance, the primary benefit if the steel isn't benefitting the user.

There are tradeoffs, but LC200N has very excellent toughness. It didn't give up toughness for corrosion resistance. And while it is limited to about 59-60 Rc, there are plenty of knives in other steels at 58-59 Rc that people aren't complaining about when it comes to deformation.

Kind of a miracle steel really if it will both chip and roll. Some kind of new heat treat along the edge to be differential?

I definitely wish to witness this.

Diemaker

To the OP, how many times have you sharpened it? A fresh factory edge may not be good steel.

ShannonSteelLabs

I'm gonna second that its a troll post.
I run my LC200N at 60HRC (typically 60. Sometimes 59/60 by PHT)
I've never had that issue. Its super tough. Super easy to get screaming sharp. Never chipped or rolled excessively like the OP states.

Its one of my favorite stainless steels. A bit funky to work with, by up past 220 grit it grinds like butter. And it just wants to get sharp. Great stuff. Haven't heard any complaints from my clients.

I think the real point is the OP is trolling and shouldn't be listen to at all. This is the largest knife forum on the internet and tons of people rely on this place for information, far more than just the members who post. If someone is going to come with such strong negative claims against a well regarded steel used in knives by one of the top manufacturers, best have some evidence to back it up. We will call you on any funny business all day long.