Leaps of faith on a "blind purchase" - A thank you.

Gus Kalanzis

Havin' fun, learning and putting up with Bastid.
Staff member
Super Mod
Did something I have not done before. Ordered a knife (Thanks Larry)from a maker who I do not know and I had never handled his work.

I based the decision on two things.

1. It was a doctor's pattern (one of my many weak spots).

2. The people who spoke (posted) of Bill Rupel's work. (Nifrand and Johnny Stout come to mind, but I know there were others.)

Thanks guys, just wanted you to know that depending on the source and their track record - I listen, learned and felt lucky that I did.:D

I hope that others have had similar good experiences due to the information at BF and I want to thank the makers, collectors and purveryers here and on other venues who take the time to share their knowledge and experience.

We all have partiallity to the knives we make, buy or sell, but being impartial in your judgement is a very valuable source of information for me.

Thanks to all those folks who are able to do so when they offer their opinions.

Saw the pattern at Las Vegas.That "ole peanut farmer' has gone a long way in a short time.I snoozed on the knife and lost out.I"ll have one on order shortly.:)
Enjoy:) :) :)

You certainly did good in my opinion. I met Bill Ruple 7 or 8 years ago. He helped me get my start on making knives. I didn't even know that anybody made knives by hand at that point. I thought it was just my "dumb" idea to make folding knives. :) Boy have I got an education in the last couple of years!!

When I got serious about trying to make knives a couple of years ago I looked Bill up. His advise and guidance has helped me a bunch. I value his help. He is my mentor and my friend. In my opinion Bill Ruple's work is great and he is definately among the top slip joint folder makers.

Tony,
I think it is time you and Gus got together on one too if you are willing :D.

I first met Bill at the OKCA show almost 4 years ago. He was one of the most friendly and "easy to talk to" makers there for a 20 year old guy trying to figure out the knifemaking thing.

I think his folders are some of the best out there...they are not only critically executed, they are just flat beautiful. Don't even get me started on his file-work (which Tony has gracefully picked up as well :) ).

Nick

Back