learning sayok kali

i'm trying to learn sayok kali. Does anyone have a recommendation as far as dvds, books, or possibly websites. I am currently not able to attend a class, due to a recent knee surgery.

It might be nice to get an objective opinion here, too, though. If anyone has any recommendations for him.

The first material to be learned can at least be seen on the 3 0f 9 DVD. This will start him with some of the basics.

Shaun

As the templates of Sayoc Kali are sensitivity drills, you will only get so far by viewing a DVD - although I recommend looking at a few to decide whether Sayoc Kali is the "flavor" of Filipino martial art that you desire.

As noted above, the best way to begin your studies is to contact them at their website. They may suggest that you form a study group in lieu of a formal class. In that way you and your training partners can travel to seminars and bring back the material that you learned for further study, or you can invite representatives to give seminars at your location.

The best martial artists with whom I have studied have been willing to travel long distances, if necessary, to learn the martial arts in which they were intererested, and then practiced religiously in between visits to their teachers.

One further note: there are excellent martial arts that are expensive to learn and there are excellent martial arts that are inexpensive to learn. Sayoc Kali is in the former category. This is not a knock against the system (I've spent thousands of dollars learning different systems through the years, and have considered the money wisely spent) - but it is something to bear in mind before you commit to study.

Best,

Steve

Sayoc Kali from what i've seen of it is awesome. I've touched hands with several of their students and practitioners and they have a depth of knowledge no one else has come close to.

I have been studying Sayoc Kali for almost 10 months now and I absolutely recommend finding a good school nearby to get some hands on experience. While the DVDs are nice, you really need to practice your skills on someone trained in it and with someone that can troubleshoot your technique. Sayoc is such a mind game and and at the end of a training session, you realize how many layers there are to it. You learn there are counters to counters and unlike other martial arts, drills are not done alone but with someone providing energy to you.

Having studied various martial arts over the years, I have found Sayoc and the other Filipino arts to be the self-defense system that works the best for me. Try it out and see what you think. If anything, it will give you a new found respect for the blade.

Be the feeder brother!

Hello Everyone,

Yes, one of the best DVD's to start your practice with is the VT # 3 of 9, the next would be Transition Drill #1. This is sort of the skeleton where concepts will be hung from in order to progress your training. As with any energy based drill, you will need to get a partner or join a training group to get the real effect from your training.

Hi Joel good to see you still posting!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

Sayoc Level 5 Associate Instructor

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Steve, something I've always wanted to ask you: you have spent a lot of time in the Bujinkan system and also with Sayoc kali.

If you had to defend yourself on the street, would you favor one system over the other? Or would you most likely use a blend of both?

I've not trained in Sayok Kali, but I do know that Serrada Eskrima blends naturally with Bujinkan taijutsu. I'm pretty sure it is the same with other FMA.

Hello Guys,

First, it is Sayoc not Sayok.

Second, Having trained in a variety in both Budo and Sayoc for sometime, many people have asked which art would be better for a real world situation so let me explain a few things about training first.

Back when I was actively training with Shihan Severe in Budo, one thing that got us into trouble with many, and yes I do mean many other practitioners was the hard style, force on force training we did. That included actual sparring, makiwara striking, and body toughening drills every opportunity we had. Now looking back this was the late 80's and early 90's and people did not spar often in the Bujinkan. As I came out of full contact karate and judo, wrestling sparring was an every class experience, so it developed in me an attitude that everything you train in should be geared toward the street level attack. There are many good techniques and kata in the Bujinkan system but they were not at that time being put into practice well. Looking out a few years later many newer practitioners began adding grappling into their practice as well as padded sparring to ramp things up a bit which definitely has added to the systems effectivity.

Training in Sayoc is a different approach at first a student is given a few drills to begin to familiarize them with some concepts that will be expanded upon dealing with a bladed/weapon based encounter. From this foundation it ramps up fast, sparring, drill adaptation, templates, medical management, tactical scenarios, training modifiers are all progressively dumped onto a students training program to push a student to new levels constantly. As a weapon based encounter is fast, your reflex training has to at least allow you the ability to survive the initial attack and then to counter or to immediately pre-emptively stop the attacker in his tracks. Sayoc material is consistently high on the list here. Now does every encounter involve the most extreme level of threat elimination? No of course not, and Sayoc also contains material that deal with this scenario as well.

So which is better? I would say that both have a great degree of material that can increase the practitioners ability to survive an attack. In the edged weapons arena, definitely Sayoc takes it.

All that being said, I have also practiced a variety of other arts (and continue to do so) this is advocated by Pamana Tuhon Sayoc to continue to have new fresh perspectives continually evolve the sayoc curriculum. On my end it is a personal things to gain from each master their strategies and tactics to help increase and refine myself and that of my students always.

Hope this helps

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

Back