Least wasteful damascus pattern?

Just curious - apart from the straight laminate, what is the least wasteful damascus pattern (in terms of removed & lost material)?

W maybe?

Thanks,

JD

I find that cable and chainsaw chain are the easyest for me.

I have made ladder pattern but thatcan ce very waistfull you grind
a lot of your billet away to get a fine ladder. A wider spacing betwen ginds would obviously waist less. I have drilled holes in the sides, but this can be a problem with not going deep enough. The closer i get to the middle the less pattern is left.

A basic rull of thumb the way I make it (no pipes just in the forge)
the more times you put it into the fire the more material you loose to fire scale.

If you have a big enough forge I like to do a 1/3 fold instead of a half fold you get your layers up quicker less heating times less waiste. Just be careful to make your half cuts for the folds on opposite sides for the bending.I have not made a lot of patterns yet so this is an amature speaking.

The least wastful would be a basic random pattern.This is due to the fact that you are not grinding or cutting any of the billet away to make the pattern.
Cable is also a materia; saver as stated already.
Bruce

Bruce,

What do you mean by basic random? How different is it from straight laminate?

Thanks,

JD

Maidens hair or a single star twist should conserve a good amount of material. 1/2 or 3/4 inch bar should make a good sized knife.

Both of those patterns use a single bar of straight laminate. Just twist, flatten, and forge.

Definitely do what Reg said and triple your stack istead of doubling. Less heats (leass scale) because it builds the layers alot faster. If you started a billet with ten layers and stacked twice, thirds would give you 90 layers, while halves would only give you 40 layers.

They are the same thing,Just left with a forge texture before grinding to give the bar some character and not just straight layers..
Bruce

Back